CSV import

Stephan Gruzinski August 27, 2021

I have tried to import a CSV file i created from MS Project task list and keep running into an issue with dates.

I was originally having issue with the date format until i looked at the text version of csv.  The format in the CSV file dd-MMM-YYYY

Once i was able to clear the errors form the import.  I looked at the task and the dates are not correct.

I mapped the Submitted dated date to Date Created and Due Date to Due Date.

I did not use Custom Fields. 

Here is an image of date section in the task, it is making everything 27/DEC/20 and screen shot of the dates from the csv file.  I know the dates are in the past but it is putting the same date for all even the ones in the future.

image.png

image.png

1 answer

1 vote
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2021

Hi @Stephan Gruzinski, you should be using something like dd/MMM/yy. Have a look at Dates are not properly imported from CSV file, and make sure to use a plain text file and not excel to work on your file.

Stephan Gruzinski August 30, 2021

The format in in that I see in excel is dd-MMM-YY.  When i click on a cell it shows the format of mm/dd/yyyy

I opened up the .csv file in notepad and see this format  dd-MMM-YY

Do i need to edit each entry in the plain text file to dd/MMM/yy?

Or is there a better way to edit all of the entries or does Jira take a different format since you can edit it during the import process?

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2021

Make sure you choose the right date format that matches exactly what you have in your CSV in the setup screen. What I normally do is using excel for the bulk of work and final edit it using VSCode with some plugins, but any text editor works. My suggestion is to use it with 2 or 3 simple lines, a text editor, the date format I mentioned, so you have better control over that. You can easily see it working and the changes you had to put in place to make it work.

Stephan Gruzinski August 31, 2021

Thanks for the Help

Like Ivan Lima likes this
Stephan Gruzinski August 31, 2021

I have been performing my test in a sandbox version my company has setup.  

Everything seemed to work and the dates looked good.

I made sure I was importing into the Issue field and not custom field.

I then proceed to import into our production environment of Jira with the same file and got the following error with all dates.

here is a snip it from the excel file

image.png

here is a snip it from the text file

image.png

here are the first few lines from the error log

2021-08-31 13:28:04,000 WARN - Unable to parse created date: 29/Jun/21 0:00 a
2021-08-31 13:28:04,002 WARN - Unable to parse date: 12/Jul/21 0:00 a
2021-08-31 13:28:04,004 WARN - Unable to parse created date: 14/Jul/21 0:00 a
2021-08-31 13:28:04,004 WARN - Unable to parse date: 23/Jul/21 0:00 a
2021-08-31 13:28:04,004 WARN - Unable to parse created date: 26/Jul/21 0:00 a
2021-08-31 13:28:04,004 WARN - Unable to parse date: 10/Sep/21 0:00 a
2021-08-31 13:28:04,004 WARN - Unable to parse created date: 26/Jul/21

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 4, 2021

Hi @Stephan Gruzinski, your file shows "29/Jun/21 0:00 a", and it should be something like "29/Jun/21 0:00 AM". That's the reason why you're getting the parse error. In the CSV import screen, If your date format is dd/MMM/yy h:mm a, your date should have the following format "23/Jul/21 0:00 AM". You will find the valid syntaxes and formats at SimpleDateFormat.

Suggest an answer