Block dates in Calendar or Timline?

David Yew May 2, 2021

Is there a way to

* add block dates for the project or tasks and is configurable to apply to individual tasks.

* when block dates are applied, the target end date can be shifted automatically.

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2021

@David Yew - Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

That functionality does not currently exist in the delivered Jira Core Cloud product.  You can create links between issues to so at the issue view you can see that one impacts the other but if you change the blockers date it will not impact the other issues start date.  I would suggest submitting a feature request here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69559?jql=project%20%3D%20JRACLOUD%20AND%20type%20%3D%20Suggestion%20AND%20statusCategory%20!%3D%20Done%20ORDER%20BY%20Updated  This is a new product and is developing rapidly so getting suggestions in on how it can be better will be important to Atlassian in making changes.

There are apps that provide Gantt charts like BigPicture that provide this functionality that you could consider in the meantime.  

David Yew May 2, 2021

Thank you @Brant Schroeder . I had submitted a feature request. I will explore BigPicture.

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 3, 2021

Hi @David Yew

I am glad that you've decided to explore BigPicture.
I enclose links to BigPicture video tutorials regarding the initial configuration. I hope you find them useful:

Moreover, I recommend you to participate in one of the open webinars that take place every Wednesday and every Friday. The webinars include a 1h product demo followed by a 30-minute Q&A session.

On the same page, you will find the video recording of a webinar. You can watch it and, if necessary, join just the Q&A session.

In case of further questions, just let me know in this thread.

0 votes
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2021

Another option is that if you add a "Block date" field, you could add an automation like:

• WHEN "Block date" is change
  • For Linked Issues of Types: "is blocked by" (I think that's right)
  • Then: Edit issue fields: set Planned end date of "parent" to date of blocking task.

It would look something like this:

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 2.13.24 PM.png

(If it doesn't work, then I got mixed up again, and the Linked Issue type has to be "blocks". But I think that's right.)

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2021

Oh you'll probably want a different field for "Block date". I just used "Planned end date" for both. But on the other hand, if it's limited only to tasks that are Blocking, then you can just use the same field.

David Yew May 2, 2021

@Darryl Lee, thank you for your suggestion, will this be possible to add a logic to compute the planned end date?

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2021

Ooooh, I was thinking about that. Like, figuring out how many days it will push the current date out? That seems.... trickier.

Unfortunately Automation Rules still do not allow for embedding one smart value inside another, so you could do something like this:

{{linkedIssue."Planned end date".plusDays(3)}}

Which would let you tack on 3 days to the existing Planned end date.

However, if your # of days was stored in a field, like "Days to fix" or something, you would NOT be able to use that value.

{{linkedIssue."Planned end date".plusDays({{issue."Days to fix"}})}}

(AGAIN, to clarify, the above value will not work.)

There is a feature request to allow this to work:

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-2086

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events