Best way to disable communication during issues migration.

Tomasz September 22, 2022

Dear Community,

I am preparing to migrate 3000 issues to a different issue type. I want to make sure that during this action, nobody will get any notifications/communication through the email channel. Mostly I mean people that were involved in such issues like reporters, participants, etc. 

Could you please tell me what would be the best way to stop communication during the time/process of moving issues to different issue type?

Thank you!

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
andreaskrasa September 22, 2022

Hey @Tomasz ,

Depending on your setup, you could turn off all outgoing notifications in Settings/Mail/Outgoing Mail for the duration of the migration process.

Another, more complex approach could be to stop the SMTP daemon that is configured in your Jira installation, continue with @Rilwan Ahmed 's approach, and look through the mail queue once the migration has finished to filter out any unwanted pending notifications before restarting the SMTP daemon.

The latter option is only suitable if you're relaying Jira notifications via a dedicated SMTP (and not your company's primary MX).

Cheers

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2022

Hi @Tomasz ,

Make use of Bulk edit and you can uncheck "Send notification". No user will receive any emails for the change. 

image.png

Tomasz September 22, 2022

Hi @Rilwan Ahmed

Thanks for the quick answer.

Yes I am using bulk edit, and I unchecked last time "Send notification" option, but unfourtanetly some people did received update anyway about the status change of the closed issues with new issues type. Would be there any other option maybe?

Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2022

Hi @Tomasz 

1. Do your bulk edit consists of different projects ? If yes, then read below.
You can disable email notifications for a particular bulk operation by deselecting the 
Send Notification checkbox in the bulk operation wizard. For this option to be available, you must be a Jira administrator or project administrator of all the projects associated with your selected issues. 

2. Another work around is, disable the outgoing email temporarily  and then perform the bulk edit. i.e Administration() > System > Mail>Outgoing mail
Please note:
Outgoing email will not be sent for all users and for any actions until you enable it back. 

Tomasz September 29, 2022

Thank you very much for your help! Finally I did used second option, and that did the trick!

have a good one,

T.

Suggest an answer