Available Parent types of Task and Subtask?

Rob Sargent May 19, 2023

I've made a project from "simple software project" template and get this IssueTypes: Epic, Feature,Task,Subtask,Improvement,Bug.  What's expect heirarchy of the first four (exclusive of Improvement and Bug).  From what I see Feature cannot be a parent of Task and Task is not a valid parent of subtask.  Is this to be expected?  Is Epic Link my only option here?

Perhaps I should use a different project template?

2 answers

0 votes
Rob Sargent May 21, 2023

Yes, I mis-spoke on Jira components in play.

That confessed, I'll add that I find this definition of "heirarchy" shockingly feeble.  What, if not task/subtask is my best bet to generate any sort of cohesion amongst the issues? Linked Issue?

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2023

Hi @Rob Sargent 

On jira core, without jira software active, I would expect that you could use Epic without the possibility of using the Epic link. That shouldn't be possible, as this functionality comes with Jira Software.

With that said, out of the box, and when having JSW as well, the hierarchy you get is an Epic an the top and all other standard issue types below it. Subtask is part of the other standard issue types.

In order to have more levels of hierarchy you can use apps, but keep in mind that in Jira this will be seen in the form of a linked issue,

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2023

@Rob Sargent 

To answer to your reply:

Yes, I mis-spoke on Jira components in play.

That confessed, I'll add that I find this definition of "heirarchy" shockingly feeble.  What, if not task/subtask is my best bet to generate any sort of cohesion amongst the issues? Linked Issue?

Yes, the hierarchy is rather narrow and to be honest I don't know if they will ever increase it. Imho having more levels will make it more difficult. Three levels is my cup of tea and using link types complements the three levels.

Rob Sargent May 29, 2023

I can successfully import epic, task and subtask issues. I cannot find any mapping mechanism with will align tasks to epic or subtask to task.

The csv headers  and example lines below.  Perhaps I'm using the wrong column bindings.  Any help appreciated

"Parent Id","Issue Id","Issue Type","Summary","Description","Epic Name","Child"
"","38","Epic","Database Connectivity","None:Database connection","Database connection",""
"38","45","Task","capture main workflow","","",""
"38","47","Task","connection per Resolver","","",""
"","50","Epic","Class work","None:New and revised C# classes","New and revised C# classes",""
"50","51","Task","ResolveManager","","",""
"51","53","Subtask","parameters supplied from configuration file","","",""
"51","59","Subtask","Creates, manages <List<Resolver>>","","",""

Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2023

Take a look at this documentation https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/:

Creating sub-tasks

You can create sub-tasks of issues by:

• Adding two columns to your CSV file with the headings "Issue Id" and "Parent Id"

• Ensuring each regular (non sub-task) issue is given a unique (sequential) number in the "Issue Id" column. Do not include any value in the "Parent Id" fields for regular issues.

• Referencing the unique "Issue Id" number of the regular issue in the "Parent Id" column. Do not include any value in the "Issue Id" fields for sub-tasks.

In this example, the fourth issue will be a sub-task of the second issue if you match the "Issue Id" and "Parent Id" fields in your CSV file to the corresponding issue and parent ID fields in Jira:

IssueType, Summary, FixVersion, FixVersion, FixVersion, Component, Component, Issue ID, Parent ID, Reporter
Bug, "First issue", v1, , , Component1, , 1, , abcde-12345-fedcba
Bug, "Second issue", v2, , , Component1, Component2, 2, , fedcb-12345-edcba
Bug, "Third issue", v1, v2, v3, Component1, , 3, , abcde-12345-fedcba
Sub-task, "Fourth issue", v1, v2, , Component2, , , 2, fedcb-12345-edcba
Rob Sargent May 30, 2023

I've gone back to having only the parentId (the task) on the subtask lines but to not get any connection during import.  I do not map the id columns during the import - doing so generates errors

"Parent Id","Issue Id","Issue Type","Summary","Description","Epic Name","Child"
"","44","Epic","Database Connectivity","Alterations to the existing application (C# coding):Database connection","Database connection",""
"","51","Task","capture main workflow","capture main workflow","44",""
"","53","Task","connection per Resolver","connection per Resolver","44",""
"","56","Epic","Class work","Alterations to the existing application (C# coding):New and revised C# classes","New and revised C# classes",""
"","57","Task","ResloveWorkflow","ResloveWorkflow","56",""
"57","","Subtask","new class, carved out of existing loop in current code","new class, carved out of existing loop in current code","",""
"57","","Subtask","in a previous life this class would inherit from Thread/Runnable","in a previous life this class would inherit from Thread/Runnable","",""
"","66","Task","ResolveManager","ResolveManager","56",""
"66","","Subtask","parameters supplied from configuration file","parameters supplied from configuration file","",""
"66","","Subtask","Creates, manages <List<Resolver>>","Creates, manages <List<Resolver>>","",""
"66","","Subtask","N second wait on empty MappingInstructionManager.cache()","N second wait on empty MappingInstructionManager.cache()","",""

I imported the example csv lines and get

• Subtask 'Fourth issue' doesn't have a valid Parent Id selection. Issue will not be created.

The file looks to be perfectly formatted: "2" is in the ParentID column of last line and in the IssueID column of "Second issue" line

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events