Auto-populate summary field with value of customized field

Deleted user January 4, 2017

Hi,

I would like to auto-populate the summary field with a value of a customized field in the create issue screen. When creating an issue there is a custom drop down field which is required. The value of the drop down field should then appear in the summary field.

1. Custom field "Meeting type" includes "Value#1"
  2. Summary should show "value#1"  of chosen value of field "Meeting type"

The purpose is that the user doesn't have to fill in the summery as it will be auto-populated

Any ideas?

Many thanks! BR,

Alex

3 answers

0 votes
Austin Neuner August 4, 2020

I am testing out the post function method on a transition. In my test, I want a custom field "Abstract" to copy the value from "Summary" and then for "Summary" to copy the value of "Description". Here are my inputs.

Summary = Summary

Description = Description

Abstract is left empty

When I transition the issue, here are the outputs I get:

Summary = Optional[Description]

Description = Description

Abstract = Summary

Is there a way to eliminate the "Optional[]"? I already tried changing the field configuration to require the Description, but that did not change the output. Any suggestions?

0 votes
Deleted user January 8, 2017

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist], thank you for your answer. I will try it with the post-function first.

Mark Gancsos May 4, 2018

Hi there, did you ever solve this? We have basically the same goal that you did.

Deleted user April 23, 2019

Sorry for my late reply. I solved it with the Jira Suite Utilities Plugin. Within a transition screen the user is forced to enter text into a custom field. The JSU postfunction (e.g. from parent to sub-tasks) prepends the value of the custom field to the summary.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2017

You'll need to inject some clever javascript to do that - stuff that can react to the changes in your fields as the users click and update, and dynamically set the summary.  It will also need to disable their entry into the summary field.  I think you can do it with Behaviours from the "Script Runner" add-on.

Another option is to do it after the create, which is easier to script for as a post-function will receive what the user finally settled on, there's no need for dynamic activity capture, but it does mean destroying what the user enters in the summary because they have to enter one to get that far.  When I've done it this way in the past, I've added a custom field for what the user puts in as the summary and populated that with their input, so nothing is lost.

However, no-one really seems to like generated summaries as they tend not to be as useful as freely chosen text.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events