Auto-Assign tickets to corresponding task owner

Mark Saluta July 22, 2021

We have the following columns in our Scrum board:

• To Do
  • In Progress
  • Peer Review
  • QA
  • Done

During Planning, we assign a Developer Resource, a Reviewer, and a QA Resource.

Whenever a ticket is in To Do or In Progress columns, it should auto-assign to the Developer Resource. Whenever it transitions to Peer Review, it should auto-assign to the Reviewer. Whenever it transitions to the QA column, it should transition to the QA Resource. 

How do I accomplish this? Or if I'm not given the correct level of access to do it myself, what can I give the person responsible for doing this?

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2021

Hi @Mark Saluta

as your latest ask was aiming at ScriptRunner here you can find the exact documentation to introduce postfunctions supported by this App into a workflow:

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/tutorials/scripted-post-functions-tutorial.html

Probably the best would be to work with your Jira Admin directly if there is some challenge - such as you described.

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Dillon July 22, 2021

Hi @Mark Saluta 

This is accomplished by updating the workflow for the given issue type. Do you know if your organization is using any workflow enhancement plugins? 

Such as JMWE or ScriptRunner?

Within these plugins, there is a simple option to copy a field value from one field to another during a status transition.

Copy value from field to field (JMWE app) - Copy the value(s) of one field to another field. Can copy the value of the field before it was changed on the transition's screen.

If you are not using any additional plugins, the only out-of-box solution that I am aware of from Jira is the ability to:

Assign to Lead Developer - Assigns the issue to the project/component lead developer
Assign to Reporter - Assigns the issue to the reporter

Please let me know if there is anything you'd like more detail on.

This would need to be completed by your Jira Administrator, as it involves system updates to the workflow being used.

Thanks,

Mark Saluta July 23, 2021

Hi @Dillon 

I've looked at both SMWE and ScriptRunner, how would one actually utilize scripts created in scriptrunner to use against workflows?

Are there any guides you would recommend?

My Jira Admin is hesitant with allowing me any access since previous administrators made universal changes and wiped out projects.

0 votes
Ignacio Aredez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2021

Create roles within the project and automation rules for the assignment in my opinion is the easiest way.

Mark Saluta July 22, 2021

Right I got that far using the guides, but wasn't sure how to actually do that.

Suggest an answer