Allow 'Fix Version' to be editable based on Issue Type

Swapan Swaroop August 19, 2022

Hello There!

Currently I am restricting users to edit versions in some of my projects using project roles and only users in Project role= Fix Version Assigner and Users in Group "Dev1", "QA2" are allowed to edit versions within the project.

Now that we are importing test case issues (issuetype="Test") using importer and fix version is mandatory, other users who are not in the above group/role are unable to proceed.

Hence, My requirement here is to enable all users to edit the Fix Version when issue type is selected as "Test" irrespective of the projects and project role/group.

Please suggest a solution for this.

Thanks,

Swapan

2 answers

0 votes

@Florian Bonniec ,

We are using "Tests" issue type in every project and we cannot have a separate tracking for this

This will not feasible for our environment. Any other alternative?

0 votes
Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2022

Hi @Swapan Swaroop 

I think the simple way to do that without any app is to use another project to manage your tests. 

You can have 1 projets to manage your requirements and another one to manage your tests and use links between issues.

Such as Project X and Project X TEST 

Regards 

@Florian Bonniec ,

We are using "Tests" issue type in every project and we cannot have a separate tracking for this

This will not feasible for our environment. Any other alternative?

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2022

You can allow everyone to update FixVersion but for any type other than Test, remove the field from the edit screen.

Then create à screen with FixVersion only, in the WF add a transition from any status to itself and add this screen in this transition. You can then add condition on group and role for this transition.

Regards 

Swapan Swaroop August 23, 2022

@Florian Bonniec , So let me elaborate more on this. 

1. User 'A' is in Group "CCON others" and able to set/update version for a project which has project role permissions. PFA Screenshot of the permission scheme for project1:Capture-ccon version permision.JPG

2. User 'B' and User 'C' who is not part of the group or Role is unable to set/ update fix version while creating/importing Zephyr "Test" cases since not everyone is a part of Fix Version Assigner role. PFA Screenshot of the permission scheme for project2:

Capture-clddi version permision.JPG

3. Now, I want User 'B' and User 'C' to be able to set fix version only when they select "Test" as an issue type and irrespective of the project role or other restrictions. Not only these two users but I want to allow everyone to set a fix version while creating TEST issue type across all projects in Jira.

Note: We are on Jira DC.

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2022

You cannot set different permissions based on issue type.

You have to allow everyone to set a fixVersion then find a way to limit it later in the process.

You can do it by removing the field from the edit screen, add the field in a transition and only allow A users to trigger this transition.

You can also set this field as readonly using Behavour from Scriptrunner when it's not Test issuetype and create transition.

Regards

Suggest an answer