After creating an epic, I can't see it in the Epic panel

paulohgo April 5, 2016

I selected a specific board. It doesn't have any active sprints yet but it does have a backlog.

I created a new epic while inside this particular board. After creating it, I got a message that the epic has been created but is not yet visible. I can't see it in the epic panel. If I look at any issues that belong to this board and tr to edit the epic link field this epic doesn't show up.

There are other related posts but none of them seemed to solve my problem. Any help is appreciated.

4 answers

1 vote
Nishant Mehta April 5, 2016

I am facing an similar but opposite issue. A few notes:

• There is just one project and one scrum board and the filter is "Project=NAME ORDER BY Rank ASC" shared with the entire project
  • The epics that are not visible on this board have stories assigned to it and those stories show up on the board (I don't know how)
  • These invisible epics are not resolved and are still in the 'Not Done' or 'In progress' state which are mapped statuses for this board in question
  • All these epics are visible in the filter results but not on the board created from the same filter.
  • All newIy created epics are being added here. The existing epics that were created by others are not seen (No quick filter 'reported by me' selected)

Can someone please help out with this?

Thanks in advance.

sw vajanyatek January 26, 2018

I'm seeing this same problem.  Were you able to figure out why, or a resolution?  TIA

Mythreyi Vattikuti October 4, 2018

I am noticing the same problem for my boards lately. Please post any resolution if you have figured out!

0 votes
Daniel K June 29, 2021

I had the same thing today! Really frustrating.

I did this -> Click to Disable "Epics panel" green button in Columns management in the Configure Board. And the Epics show up in the Kanban board like magic.

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 5, 2016

Paolo, have you checked the filter backing the board? Does it contain a single project or multiple projects? Does it perhaps exclude these epics?

Have you created the epic from inside the board or via the main Create button?

Can you find the epics in the Issue Navigator as veera suggested?

Isn't it possible that the epics were created in a different project?

paulohgo April 6, 2016

Hi TIbor, I have created the epic from the project's board. Other epics that are used in that project show fine when you click on the EPICS panel but the newly created one doesn't. I used the Create Epic link from the screen shot below inside an existing board (13.0 Initiative).

Thanks!

image2016-4-6 10:20:46.png

Rajula Singh September 13, 2019

Please check which Project the Epic is created in, Create allows you to create Epics across all Projects in a Jira instance. Epics are not created on a Board, but belong to a Project since your Board filter has Project =xxx it will appear if it satisfies the Board filter criteria.

Hope this helps.

0 votes
veera praneeth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2016

In Jira, Epics doesn't show up in boards (Scrum/Kanban). Epics can be used to differentiate the stories by using swim lanes. Epics can be accessed from Issue navigator with JQL "project = <project-name> AND issuetype = Epic"  Anyways Epics are used to track large chunks of project progress. An epic can only be closed if all the stories in it  are closed. 

Suggest an answer