Adding comments to issue for SMTP errors

Johannes May 17, 2023

Hello,

I have the following situation:
My users are sending out mails (with Add-on "Email this Issue") and sometimes the sending fails because of some SMTP error (e.g. attachment size too large etc.) thrown by the mail server.

These errors are however only visible in the log files, but not for the user who sent out the mail.

Is it somehow possible to show such error messages to the user, for example by adding a comment to the ticket from which it was sent?

Thank you

Johannes

1 answer

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2023

Hi @Johannes 

Isn't there a Emails tab on each ticket that contains all the logs related to emails?

email_this_issue.png

Johannes May 24, 2023

Hi @Mirek ,

yes, but it is marked as being sent, even though it failed in the background:

image.png

So to the user it looks like the mail has been sent out successfully.

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2023

OK, that is not a good information about status.. It should give also some information about error.. or prevent somehow from sending the email..

Now I am thinking.. How about using a workflow transition? I think Email This issue have an option to execute a transition AFTER a mail is successfully sent. Failure would skip the transition.. So if there would be something like "Confirm Sending Email" transition maybe this would actually work as a some kind of validator? Once executed it could give a standard comment "Mail Successfully Sent".. of course only if this respect also mail errors and really prevent them from sending..

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events