Add POP / IMAP Mail Server

Tana Ghosh December 11, 2018

Hello,

I have the Hostname, Port, Username, Password to configure incoming mail server in Jira software server. When I click on 'Test Connection', It throws the error "AuthenticationFailedException: Error. The system was unable to log [username] in". 

Using the same username and password, I am able to configure the mailbox in outlook.

Can you please help me what might be going wrong here.

Thank You!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2018

Could be the wrong details, but it could also be that your mail server only accepts connections for that username from certain machines or ranges of IP addresses. 

If you're sure the username and password are correct, I would be checking the host name of the email server and port next.  A quick test is to go on to the Jira server and run "telnet <host> <port>" and see how it responds - does it let you log in there?  If not, then it might still give you more info in the response than "authentication failed"

Tana Ghosh December 11, 2018

Hi, Thank you! I tried telnet <host> <port> from Jira server command prompt.
It gives me a result like "+OK <some generic message>"
This response looks fine right.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2018

Does it let you log in ok as well?

Tana Ghosh December 12, 2018

Hi Nic, It does not give me any option to enter my credential.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2018

Sorry, I should have given you more - the +ok is good, but the login test is to tell it username and password.  As a simple and very old standard, the command line makes you work a bit harder than some other servers.

Enter

user <your username>

pass <your password for it>

This should tell you more about what is going wrong

Thank you for the details. I am very new to this. 

After entering the username, it gives +OK message.

But after entering the password, it throws the error, unable to login.

Hence I am sure it must be an issue with the password. Thanks a lot for your help!

But do you have any idea when I am able to setup the mailbox in outlook with same password, why it is not working from Jira server.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2018

Either your mail server is configured to ignore attempts to connect from that server from that account, or there's something different about the connection in outlook. 

The only time I've seen that (which wasn't outlook, it was another mail client), the user had a name and a password which included some unusual European characters, and the wrong language settings on their machine.  Changing login name and password to use only ascii characters 33 to 126 fixed it then.

Thank you so much. I will surely look into the language settings of the server.

Suggest an answer