Jira Automation: How to set a custom field to the same value as a parent ticket with that same field

Nathan Sorkin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 11, 2023

I am trying to set a custom field titled "Development Lead" to the same value as "Development Lead" on the epic ticket its under. Here's what Im using 

{
"fields": {
"customfield_11639": { "id": "{{issue.parent.customfield_11639.accountId}}" }
}
}

Ive also tried

{
"fields": {
"customfield_11639": {{issue.parent.customfield_11639.accountId}}
}
}

Can anyone help with this?

3 answers

0 votes
Simon Seoh
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 26, 2023

Hi @Nathan Sorkin

To set a custom field in Jira Automation to the same value as the parent ticket's field, follow these steps:

1. Create a new automation rule in Jira.
  2. Set the trigger to "Issue transitioned" or any event that suits your workflow.
  3. Add a condition to check if the issue has a parent (use "Parent is not empty").
  4. Add an action to update the custom field.
  5. Use the "Edit issue" action and set the custom field to {{issue.parent.fieldname}}.

This way, the custom field of the current issue will be set to the same value as the parent ticket's field.

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2023

Hi @Nathan Sorkin 

Welcome to community!

This can be achieved by the edit issue action. eg below:

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 09.51.10.png

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2023

Hello @Nathan Sorkin 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Can you please show us your complete rule? Sometimes problems are related to the context in which the step executes within the rule.

What is the field type for that field? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events