Is there a way to refresh story points on subtasks that move parent tickets?

Meghan McPolin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 5, 2022

I have story points on subtasks that automatically refresh totally up to the parent ticket.

If I move a subtask, the story points do not deduct from the old parent and do not update the new parent ticket's story points. Is there a way to automatically refresh the story points?

Background: We are trying to count story points for bugs in each sprint. We want a task to have 40 story points a sprint. Every time a new bug is raised, we want to move the subtask to a new bug and count the points on that bug. This way, the story points should deduct from the tasks and we are not adding more story points to the sprint.

Example:

Original Story Points Summed Up from Subtasks:

1. Parent #1 = 3 story points
    1. Subtask 1- 1 story point
    2. Subtask 2- 1 story point
    3. Subtask 3- 1 story point
  2. Parent #2 = 0 story points (no subtask)

----- Move subtask (More --> Move --> update new parent ticket #)

Actual Result: 

1. Parent #1 = 3 story points
    2. Subtask 2- 1 story point (moved the Parent #2)
  2. Parent #2 = 0 story points (no subtask)
    1. Subtask 2- 1 story point

Expected Result:

1. Parent #1 = 2 story points
    2. Subtask 2- 1 story point (moved the Parent #2)
  2. Parent #2 = 1 story point (no subtask)
    1. Subtask 2- 1 story point

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Summing story points up from sub-tasks is not something Jira does natively (because you don't put sprint estimates like story points on sub-tasks), so when you say "I have story points on subtasks that automatically refresh totally up to the parent ticket.", you or your admins have added something to do it.

You can do the same to cover your need to subtract and add - either create a listener that can pick up the change of parent, or an automation which can subtract from the original and add to the new parent.

Oksana Baier January 13, 2023

I have the same automation for summ of original estimation for epic and story from child tasks. But I cannot understand how I can refreash old parent after movement subtask from one story to next. I write automatization for refresh new parent, but dont know how to refresh old parent, please help me :)

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2023

Hi @Oksana Baier 

There are several ways to do that...and one way is to:

• Create a rule, triggered on some condition, which updates an story to recalculate the sum
  • trigger that condition

For example, you could detect the parent change for the subtask and then update the parent.  The trigger for this approach would be Issue Updated followed by an Advanced Compare Condition to detect the parent changed for a subtask issue type.

Kind regards,
Bill

Ryando_poco
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 24, 2023

Hi @Oksana Baier I have a slightly different issue compared to yours. Mine could refresh the old parent, but the new parent cannot be restored to the new calculation.

For refreshing the old parent, you can create the automation like this below picture. 

Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 20.30.12.png

If you don't mind, could you share how I can refresh story point in the new parent? 

Warm Regards,
Ryan

Suggest an answer