Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know how to show filter results on a Jira issue screen?

David Hannon October 20, 2021

Hi

I'm trying to find a way to show the results of a JQL filter directly on a Jira issue screen. It can be in a panel, tab or custom field I dont mind.

I have had a look around on the Marketplace and on this community and not found anything obvious. 

Hope someone out there has done someting similar and can help! 

David

6 answers

2 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Gay October 20, 2021

We are using 'Issue Matrix' (on premise, not cloud)

Where you can add a JQL filter and select the fields to show in the columns: 

image.png

This is a custom field, where you can select the jql and columns in the field context:

image.png

Hi - Thanks for this. Looks really good and might be what we're looking for! Your market place search skills are superior to mine :-) 

Alex Gay October 20, 2021

you can use it to show issues according to a JQL, 

but you can also use it to show 'child issues'

or 'linked issues' for example

show all issues that have a link type 'blocked' again showing the custom fields you need: 

image.png

Like David Hannon likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2021

There's no way to do this natively, as  you have described it.  The issue view isn't really a place to be displaying arbitrary lists of other issues out of context.

Could you explain why you want to do this?  I mean what problem would it solve for the person viewing an issue?

I ask because there are apps that can add panels that will list issues, but they all do it for a good reason.  If we knew why you're trying to do this, we may be able to identify one that does it.

Hi Nic

I want to be able to display a group of bugs that are all linked by a common identifier. Very often our bugs affect multiple branches of code. The way we track this is by having a bug created for each branch. They are then known as branch siblings.

In Jira I have a transition to create a branch sibling that creates a new issue, creates a unique idetifier and links the issues together using a custom issue link.

I can see the issue links on the screen but this only shows issues that have direct links to one another. Our users would like to see the whole sibling group when viewing any issue within the group.

Therefore I thought some kind of JQL filter using the unique sibling group ID displayed on the bug screen would be the answer.

D.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2021

Makes sense, it's a bit like the issue-links but in more depth.

I'd look towards the issue matrix app Alex mentioned, but also maybe the issue hierarchy app or Canvas.

I'm not sure I can think of an app that would give you a panel directly in an issue view though, not in Cloud.

The other thing I might want to have a look at is using Epics for your sibling groups?  Might that work?

Like # people like this

Thanks Nic. I'll check out those apps. Hadn't considered Epics. That could work as the project is purely bug tracking so I dont think they'll be using Epics for anything else.

1 vote
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

A different (native) approach that I've used for this sort of thing is to create a saved Filter with the JQL, or a Confluence page based on such a filter, which necessarily displays the results in a separate browser window or tab.

Then I add a new Shortcut to the left sidebar of the Jira project to the Filter results or Confluence page.

The Confluence page approach allows for additional text and formatting (e.g. consistent column selection and ordering).

The net result is one-click access to that data from the Jira project. It's not as slick as being embedded into each issue. And it can't be issue-specific. This is a more general approach to this class of problem.

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

To extend this idea, it would probably be possible to use a Custom URL Field that is not editable and use Automation to dynamically generate a URL like

https://YOURSITE.atlassian.net/issues/?jql=siblingGroupID%3D"{{issue.fields.siblingGroupID}}

But yeah, just a link, not embedded.

On the other hand, it's "free". :-}

Like # people like this
1 vote
HIREN SAKARIA October 20, 2021

what do you mean by Jira issue screen?

If you meant backlog view then you can use QuickFilters to filter issues based on your query.

Jesse Johns October 20, 2021

Same question. Jira issue screen? Or, backlog.

Like Jack Brickey likes this

Hi - The screen you see when viewing an issue / bug that contains the fields, comments etc..

0 votes
Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2021

Scanning the above answers, two points to consider:

1. Issue Matrix is a paid add-on. I think it's great, but we're not using it (yet).
  2. Some differences between epics and sub-tasks:
    1. To use sub-task, it must be added the project's issue type scheme, a workflow must be defined, etc.
    2. A sub-task's parent must be in the same project while an epic can aggregate issues from different Jira projects
0 votes
Jack Daniel Morilla October 20, 2021

try to create a filter using your jql, just make sure to add range of what you need to show in your Issue Dashboard. I tried this once...

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events