A story about working with template Issues in Jira

Hi,

I’m Marlene from codefortynine. Prior to my current job, I worked at a mobile games publisher. At the time, I first came across our Marketplace app Deep Clone for Jira. Here’s my story about it. 

Anyone who has ever worked in the games industry knows that building a successful game is complicated and there’s no recipe for it.

So in the beginning we handled every game individually with some parts of standardization. 

One day our CEO approached us with a completely new strategy. The goal was to release as many games as fast as possible, with all tech integrated we needed to evaluate the potential of the game. 

First, we talked to the departments involved to understand their needs. We collected the requirements in a Confluence document and structured them in collaboration with the teams so that every requirement was of a similar size - of course that was just a gut feeling.

Then we created a Jira project and Stories that contained all requirements from the Confluence document. This setup was our template that we used for every new game we signed.

JiraProject.png

In the tickets we only described the desired result, instead of the steps to be done. As so often in software development, we only knew what information was needed to evaluate the game. But not what we actually had to do to get the required information.

In order to distinguish which Story belonged to which department we added Jira Components - e.g. “Quality Assurance”. As Component Lead, we set the responsible person from the respective department. So the content of the ticket was completely owned by her and she was allowed to change everything if necessary. At the end we had about 50 Stories in our template project.

ComponentLead.png

Then came the day we started our new process with the first game. We created a new Jira project for the game and cloned all template Stories from the template project to the game project. At this point, we started working with Deep Clone for Jira. Using this Marketplace app we could bulk clone and bulk move all 50 issues in one go. That was a huge timesaver, since we started a new project every two weeks.

giphy

Once the clones were created in the target project we started to work with them as agile as possible. Now that we knew what to do, we could specify the Stories: We added checklists, we attached relevant information about the game, we even closed some of the Stories right away because they were obsolete.

As you can imagine, it took some time and pain for this process to work smoothly. But in the end, we were amazed how much more efficient we could be by defining some basic standards and working with templates in Jira.

So if you ever need to speed up recurring projects or events, consider working with templates in Jira.

6 comments

M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2020

sure. will do. thank you @Marlene Kegel - codefortynine 

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 4, 2020

You're welcome, @M Amine :) 

David Stokes October 23, 2020

Yes - template projects mean that you don't need to 'reinvent the wheel' each time a new project is created.  It's also a great way to leverage the standardised processes.

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 6, 2021

It might be interesting for all readers that we released an update of Deep Clone for Jira that enables you to clone entire Jira projects, along with settings, issues, components and versions.

shyam_rpms January 24, 2022

Hi Marlene, is it possible to clone the projects between JIRA server to JIRA cloud using deep clone plugin ?

Deep clone allows only to clone projects between jira cloud to cloud instance, right ?

Marketplace Partner
May 25, 2022

Hi @shyam_rpms,

I am so sorry, I've just seen your question.

Deep Clone for Jira is only available for Jira cloud. Therefore you can only clone between two or more cloud instances.

You can read more about the Deep Clone Instance Clone in our documentation. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events