config.bat gets class not found error

Zach Taylor June 25, 2013

Hi, I am running JIRA 5.1 from a standalone Windows install and I am having trouble getting config.bat to run.

My JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME environment variables are set to "C:\PROGRA~2\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\bin"

When I attempt to run config.bat, I get the following message:

"The system cannot find the path specified"

I have verified that Configurator.class is in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\JIRA\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\com\atlassian\jira\configurator"

I have attempted running the app using "java -classpath ../atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes;../atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib/*;../lib/* com.atlassian.jira.configurator.Configurator"

However, that returns the following error:

C:\PROGRA~2\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\bin>java -classpath ../atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/cla
sses;../atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib/*;../lib/* com.atlassian.jira.configurator.Co
nfigurator
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/atlassian/jira/co
nfigurator/Configurator
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.atlassian.jira.configurator.Con
figurator
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
Could not find the main class: com.atlassian.jira.configurator.Configurator. Program will exit.

Any ideas as to what might be going on here and a workaround/solution would be great.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Zach Taylor July 1, 2013

I was unable to get config.bat working. Setting up a new testing environment, reinstalling Jira, and restoring from a backup of the original install seemed to allow config.bat to work. However several of the fields on the WebServer tab were missing (I only had access to the connector ports).

The short version of the story is that I gave up and performed all the configuration changes I needed to manually in the server.xml and web.xml files.

0 votes
Darren Rhymer September 29, 2020

I know this is very old but it came up in my Google search...

[root@myserver ~]# echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_191-amd64

[root@myserver ~]# . /opt/atlassian/jira/bin/config.sh
dirname: invalid option -- 'b'
Try 'dirname --help' for more information.
Error: Could not find or load main class com.atlassian.jira.configurator.Configurator

[root@myserver ~]# cd /opt/atlassian/jira/bin
[root@myserver bin]# . config.sh

No graphics display available; using console.
----------------------
JIRA Configurator v1.1
----------------------

--- Main Menu ---
[H] Configure JIRA Home
[D] Database Selection
[W] Web Server (incl. HTTP/HTTPs configuration)
[A] Advanced Settings
[S] Save and Exit
[X] Exit without Saving

Main Menu>

0 votes
Todd Bowles January 20, 2016

I worked it you, I was using the JRE\BIN directory.. removed \BIN and it all started working.

SET JRE_HOME=C:\PROGRA~2\Java\JRE18~1.0_7

I am sure it would also work to the java directory installed with JIRA,  

0 votes
Ivan Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2013

I think you might have your JAVA_HOME set in the wrong spot. What's the output for "echo %JAVA_HOME%"? What about just "java -version"?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installing+Java#InstallingJava-Windows-basedcomputers

Based off of that article, the definition of JAVA_HOME is a few levels too deep.

Zach Taylor June 25, 2013

Hi Ivan,

I am using the JRE that came bundled with JIRA 5.1.

-- Command Prompt output --

C:\PROGRA~2\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\bin>java -version
java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

C:\PROGRA~2\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\bin>echo %JAVA_HOME%
C:\PROGRA~2\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\bin

C:\PROGRA~2\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\bin>

I have experimented with setting JAVA_HOME to be "C:\PROGRA~2\Atlassian\JIRA" and " C:\PROGRA~2\Atlassian\JIRA\jre" with the same results.

config.bat simply returns "The system cannot find the path specified"

Running the command contained in config.bat results in the same class not found error above.

Bryan Mitchell June 2, 2014

Where is the answer to this?

Todd Bowles January 20, 2016

Why is there still no response to this?
I have tried everything I can think of, and still get the same error  "The system cannot find the path specified"

Suggest an answer