Separate create issue type screen content

Dominik M. April 18, 2017

Greetings,

I am the administrator of two projects created with shared configuration (Project-C was created after the Project-B and its based on the latter one mentioned configuration) - what I need to do is to have  "Description" field removed from the issue type "task" on "create issue" screen - only in Project-C, Project-B config. should not be included under those actions. Moreover other issue types in Project-C also should not be affected and have "Description" field present.

In case of custom fields you can use context to get fields displayed with different options (e.g. dropdown menu fields), however "description" field is not a custom one and every time I try to do this I get all issue types with or without description field, whilst there's no way to get only Project's-C "task" issue type affected.

Advice of any type is highly needed and appreciated.

Regards,

Dominik Maciejewski

1 answer

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2017

Hi Dominik,

you have to create a seperate Field Configuration and a seperate Field Configuration Scheme for Project C.

• First, make a copy of your existing Field Configuration of Project C
  • Edit the copy, rename it to project-c-task or so
  • Then configure the new field configuration:
    • Hide the field "Description"
  • Make a copy of your existing Field Configuration Scheme of Project C, so that it can be seperated from Project B
  • Edit the Copy, call it "Project C Field Configuration Scheme" or so
  •  Then configure that new Field Configuration Scheme
    • Associate the issue type "Task" with the Field Configuration "Project C-Task" and save it

Now, the field "description" should be invisible for tasks.

Dominik M. April 20, 2017

Superb tutorial - works like a charm. I'm really thankful Thomas. One more time many thanks.

P.S. For anyone reading this - please remember to assign "Project C Field Configuration Scheme" to Project's C (GP-->cog icon-->fields-->actions-->use different scheme and select from the dropdown the dedicated one - in my case it's "Project C Field Configuration Scheme")

All the best,

Dominik

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2017

you're welcome :-)

Dominik M. April 20, 2017

to make it fully done:

accessed project C, used GP shortcut

I've associated:
--> create issue screen with PROB: Scrum Default Issue Screen (Description Field must be ABSENT HERE)
--> edit issue with Copy of PROB: Scrum Default Issue Screen (Description Field must be PRESENT HERE)
-->View Issue with Copy of PROB: Scrum Default Issue Screen (Description Field must be PRESENT HERE)

2017-04-20 15_45_11-.png

by doing so I have "Description" field removed from the "create issue" screen and present when editing and viewing the issue.

Unfortunately it affects all issue types (and I need it only on task issue type). I've noticed that "Bug" issue type isn't affected by this and it works as the "Task" issue type as it uses its own "Bug Only Issue Type Scheme":

2017-04-20 16_12_08-jira 04 2017 (Migawka 9) [Uruchomiona] - Oracle VM VirtualBox _ 1.png

I'll investigate the issue and consult it with my manager.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2017

Field configuration schemes can be made up of field configurations for each issue type. It sounds like you need one for task issues and one for all others. 

Dominik M. April 21, 2017

Correct, here's the final part which in fact led to Description's field in Task Issue type in Project C to be present only on create issue screen (vs Project-B where it should've been left with Description Field on Create Issue screen)

2017-04-21 10_45_45-New Jira Setup and 2 projects - Dominik Maciejewski - Space.png

2017-04-21 10_47_19-New Jira Setup and 2 projects - Dominik Maciejewski - Space.png

2017-04-21 10_47_59-New Jira Setup and 2 projects - Dominik Maciejewski - Space.png

so far, so good except the fact that issue type screen schemes are shared for 2 projects.

what needs to be done here is now FIRST to differentiate project's B screen schemes from project C and then amend them.
I've copied PROB: Scrum Issue Type Screen Scheme and saved it as PROC: Scrum Issue Type Screen Scheme, then it was associated with Project-C

2017-04-21 10_49_05-New Jira Setup and 2 projects - Dominik Maciejewski - Space.png

now it's time to do amendments only for Project-B Task Issue Type:

2017-04-21 10_49_53-New Jira Setup and 2 projects - Dominik Maciejewski - Space.png

outcome:

2017-04-21 10_50_41-New Jira Setup and 2 projects - Dominik Maciejewski - Space.png

and testing phase time!:

2017-04-21 10_51_58-New Jira Setup and 2 projects - Dominik Maciejewski - Space.png

above everywthing nice and smooth as it should be

Project-B:

2017-04-21 10_52_45-New Jira Setup and 2 projects - Dominik Maciejewski - Space.png

2017-04-21 10_53_30-New Jira Setup and 2 projects - Dominik Maciejewski - Space.png

edit screen/view screen tests were done as well and description field is present for task issue type in Project's-C only on create issue screen.

all works fine - many thanks to all contributors - I hope my manual will save much time for other admins.

Suggest an answer