Query to track the story points changes on the Stories JIRA

Sofy Bohra May 13, 2014

All the scrum teams constantly refine their stories, split them, and estimate them in sprint refinement or planning session, as a result the story points change. Can I write a query that returns me a list of all the issues in JIRA whose Story Points field has been changed between two dates ?

Any guidance will be much appreciated. Thanks !

1 answer

0 votes
BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2014

Hi Sofy,

The problem with JQL queries is that you can only search for issues based on the current state, but you can not compare field states (like story points) over time. I had to implement a similar case in my company where we wanted to track which billing keys had changed over time. This is what I did to fix this:

1) Add a custom field to all issues/projects/... that need to be tracked.

2) Implement a custom event listener that looks for changes and updates the custom field (f.e. setting a flag) on all issues/projects from which the story points have changed.

3) Use JQL to query for all issues/projects that have the custom field flag set to get an overview of all issues/projects that have changed storypoints

4) If you use a Checkbox List custom field you can always unflag the custom field after the information has been processed/viewed by the responsible person.

Hope this explanation makes sense?!

Kelvin Ekonomi February 10, 2020

This doesn't resolve the request entirely. 

This is an important query to keep track scope changes. 

If done as suggested you don't have the list of the historical changes. 

Project managers currently go and check the history of the changed tickets which is tedious process

Suggest an answer