Migration from HP ALM to Jira

Hey, It's Sashi April 13, 2017

Hi All - We have test cases, defects in HP ALM and would like to migrate to Jira. The project follows Agile sprints.

Can you please suggest what version of Jira and Plug ins are needed to migrate test cases and Defects into Jira.

Also Since the Jira will be brand new, cna we migrate the data from ALM as it is . and then reconfigure Jira with new workflow.

Please suggest.

Thank you! Sashi

6 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2017

There's no particular version of JIRA that matters for importing data from there.  You mention "Agile", so I'd recommend JIRA Software over plain JIRA, and I'd quite simply say the latest version.

You are talking about test cases and defects.  That's fine, but you need to think about how you are going to represent and use them in JIRA.  HP and JIRA do not have the same data structures, so you're going to need to be converting from HP into a format suitable for JIRA. 

JIRA itself does not really have support for testing either.  You can rig up plans and cases, treating them as issues, but most of us find that a bit weak.  Most testers reach for JIRA add-ons to help them with testing, and I would strongly recommend you do the same, because the better add-ons understand test plans, repeat runs, regression and so-on in ways that JIRA does not.

I've seen several used with JIRA (X-Ray, SynapseRT and QMetry) but only really been involved when it was Zephyr, Testrail or Kanoah (I want to tell you that work with one them now too, in the interests of openness).  They are all different, and my experience with all of them is too shallow to tell you which one might be best for you.  Have a look through https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?product=jira&query=test

You are also going to need to think about how you change the test data from ALM into the right shape for them.

Thank you . Could you please suggest how to convert into suitable format for migration and what tools do we need to use for migration

Like Parag Gulwani likes this
1 vote
Riddhi Shah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2019

Hello @SamVijay 

You could also use a synchronization app for this.

I am from the Exalate team!

Exalate is a sync tool that allows syncing information bi- and uni-directionally between Jira and HP ALM instances.

It keeps autonomy. That means both Jira and HP ALM can be set-up and configured differently.

If you want, we can set up a demo to explain how it would work for your use case. You can book one here.

0 votes
Seifeddine BMZ June 25, 2021

Hi all,

In case we're having in HP ALM Business Components and we want to migrate all of them as well to JIRA or to a JIRA test management extension.

Is there any way to do this?

Thank you,

Seif 

Jacob Blake June 29, 2021

Hi Seif,

The Business Component in ALM is equivalent to the shareable test case feature in QMetry Test Management (QTM). Like in ALM, these Business Components are used in Tests of Flow type. Similarly, in QTM, a test case (a.k.a Test) can have shared test cases as Steps in a much simpler manner. Shareable test cases help with the reusability of common steps among different Test Cases instead of authoring them every time.

While migrating to QTM, the business components are migrated as usual test case steps like ALM tests, thus preventing any loss of test step details and execution results. Users get an option to create shared test cases with steps from an existing test case in just one click. QTM has a very tight bidirectional integration with Jira. Stories and Bugs from Jira auto-sync real-time to QTM modules for QA teams. Similarly associated Test cases, their steps and execution results are visible to BAs/product owners/developers in Story and Bugs in Jira to validate the acceptance test criteria and execution results. This helps testers to get complete traceability from story to test case, to executions and bugs. I would suggest choosing the QTM enterprise if you are migrating from ALM. My company migrated 50+ ALM projects to QTM smoothly. They have an excellent migration tool, domain expertise, and one of the best tech support in the industry.

If you want to migrate ALM test assets to a test case management tool in Jira, I would recommend to go for QMetry Test Management for Jira (QTM4J). For QTM4J, the business components should migrate as test cases with steps like Tests. There will be no loss of any test step details and execution results while migrating them from ALM. Testers can define test cases as modular, self-sufficient, which can be reused across projects and test runs to gain similar reusable features like Business components.

Jacob

Like # people like this
Seifeddine BMZ June 29, 2021

Hi Jacob,

Thank you you've given to me great feedback. Do you know if the same exits in Zephyr? 

Regards,

Seif 

0 votes
LeKisha Boswell April 13, 2017

HP ALM has a built-in synchronizer that bridges the tool with JIRA; therefore, no other tool is needed. You may run into some configuration quarrels when mapping the two; therefore, ensure that a JIRA administrator is driving the integration to prevent any blockers. Non-administrators of JIRA may find that custom fields are "R" (read) only vs RW (read-write) when mapped.

If you are using an older version of HP ALM you want to consider ConnectAll or something if the sort. 

I've attached a link that provides a demonstration of the integration between HP ALM and JIRA Cloud.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDu434Jt0yA

Can you help how to do mapping between the HP and Jira. Also we do not have any projects yet created in jira, so how should we proceed?

Should we create projects in Jira first?

ALM has many statuses which we dont want in Jira, so how to map 10 Statuses to 5 statuses in Jira

PLease share any documentation 

SamVijay May 24, 2019

Hi,

The above link is not working. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDu434Jt0yA

we are planning for a integration of HP ALM to Confluence Cloud. We need to have better understanding how it can be done.

1) Requirements 

2) Test Case/Plan

3) Logs & attachments

How this is possible without investing much or something (addins/Connector  )already available in Jira or HP ALM

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2019

Yes, videos often get removed, and go out of date really quickly.

If you don't want to use the suggested connector, then you will need to invest in a lot of coding to get HP-ALM to poke data into Jira over its REST API.

Ashirbad Ratha December 16, 2019

Hi All,

I was trying to do so but i currently have importer which i am using to import data from alm to excel eventually to jira. Again that is a time consuming as each test cases needs to selected and exproted.

Is there any means to get all the data from HP ALM with only specific and feed them to jira.

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2017

I replied to a post from another user asking about simialar things, so you may find some of this info useful. Agreed with Nic that the stock CSV importer is really all you need.  The part of JIRA that does this type of import is the JIRA Importers Plugin or JIM for short.  A lot of enhancements have been made to it in the past couple years, so I would definitely use a modern version of JIRA.

0 votes
LeKisha Boswell April 13, 2017

HP ALM actually has a built-in bridge that allows for an easy integration; however, you will have to map a number of fields to JIRA and if your projects have different workflows you will have to map each project accordingly.

Custom fields in JIRA require additional configuration as they may appear initially as read-only fields if the mapping is done by someone other than a JIRA admin. Administrators of JIRA should be able to create read-write fields without incident.

We are currently using JIRA Cloud and HP ALM v 12.2.

Ryan Anderson August 24, 2017

Hey LeKisha, That's fantastic news! When you used it did it carry over the formatting from ALM to Jira?

Suggest an answer