Is there a way to add the required field asterisk to the screen?

Robert Milner October 26, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: How to make JIRA applications fields required in a workflow transition

I've added a Validator to a Transition and the validation works, but there isn't a "required field" asterisk on the screen so my team doesn't know the field is required on this transition until they attempt to submit it and they receive an error. Is there any trick to getting an asterisk to appear on the Screen even though the field is only required in order to successfully transition to the next Status? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2016

No, this is not currently possible in JIRA Cloud. JIRA Server customers rely on Javascript hacks to accomplish this.

Robert Milner October 27, 2016

Thank you for the quick response.

Manuel November 6, 2016

I did'nt find any Javascript hack, does anyboy know where i can find an example?

Steven Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2017

I have an approach that works for me on JIRA Server:

• ScriptRunner for JIRA plugin (Server Only, Paid)
    • ScriptRunner for JIRA provides a module called "Behaviors"
  • JIRA Suite Utilities plugin (Free)
    • JIRA Suite Utilities provides a Validator class, "Field Required"
  1. Add a new behavior, call it something like "global-field-required-behavior"
  2. Set the mapping for this behavior to be All Projects and All Issue Types
  3. Edit the behavior and click Enable on Use Validator Plugin
  4. Use the "Field Required" validator when making required fields on a workflow

All required fields will have the desired asterisk when using the workflow validator.

Manuel June 5, 2017

I've bought "Jira Workflow Essentials". This plugin shows asteriks when using the field required function.

Stefani Kaimakliotou February 11, 2020

Does this work also for Summary field? Because i couldn't make it work.

Manuel February 11, 2020

Stevens or my solution? I'm pretty sure Workflow Essentials will show the asteriks.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2020

Summary field only doesnt show an asterisk on service desk portal. 

Suggest an answer