How to bulk rename username

Stavros Michael
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2015

I would like to use JIRA API to bulk rename usernames. I am currently using JIRA 6.3.14 and I am also having the Groovy Plugin installed. I am not able to find any API to help me achieve this. Can someone point me to the right direction. As we are maintaining a big user directory the use of Jira UI for manual update of the username is not an option

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Stavros Michael
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2015

I found a solution!

Using groovy

ImmutableUser.Builder builder = ImmutableUser.newUser(ApplicationUsers.toDirectoryUser(user));
builder.name(newName);
userManager.updateUser(new DelegatingApplicationUser(user.getKey(), builder.toUser()));
Melanie Wu February 13, 2017

Hi,

This may be a dumb question, but how do you use that groovy script?

Thanks,

Mel

Sumit Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 15, 2017
import com.atlassian.jira.user.DelegatingApplicationUser
import com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.impl.ImmutableUser
import com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUsers
import com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUser
import com.atlassian.jira.user.util.UserUtil
import com.atlassian.jira.user.util.UserManager;
import com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.api.User;
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor;
UserManager userManager = ComponentAccessor.getUserManager();
ApplicationUser appUser = userManager.getUserByKey("<old_username>");
ImmutableUser.Builder builder = ImmutableUser.newUser(ApplicationUsers.toDirectoryUser(appUser));
builder.name("<new_username>");
userManager.updateUser(new DelegatingApplicationUser(appUser.getKey(), builder.toUser()));
Like Nirmani K likes this
1 vote
Luke Timms February 4, 2015

Wouldnt it be great if you could export all users, then import them again having made global changes.

JIRA ADMINS - This has been wanted/needed for many years.

Suggest an answer