How do you set a notification for changes to a specific field?

Logan G Hawkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2012

I have been asked to change Jira to notify users only when specific issue fields are updated. For example, instead of sending a notification when there's a change to any field (component, description, priority), users should be notified only if an issue's summary has been updated.

I've checked through the documentation on notifications and I've found that I can enable or disable notification for comments, changes to status or assignee, et cetera. There doesn't seem to be a way to scope the "Issue Updated" notification down to specific field(s). I've also investigated using a post-function in the workflow, but since a change to an issue's summary isn't necessarily part of a workflow transition a post-function wouldn't trigger.

Any ideas?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ruchi Tandon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2013

I would suggest you to refer to this document and create IssueEventListener for all the events on the issue that you want to send emails. After this, please disable the standard notifications from JIRA so that it only uses your custom event listener.

There is also a feature request here : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-31889. Vote on this issiue and add yourself as a watcher to this one.

Cyril Bouteille May 18, 2016

The JIRA issue seems to have been closed. Atlassian doesn't seem to care about customer feedback as usual. Is there any new known work around identified since?

Like # people like this
1 vote
Jie Kang April 4, 2020

Use "Automation Rules": Jira Settings->System->Automation rules.

Create a rule for "Field value changed".

Mark de Bont [Terberg] April 9, 2021

For Service Management this is the way to go!

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2012

You may need to write your own listener for IssueEventListener and do the custom handling only for the fields that you are interested in.

Suggest an answer