How do we do multiple sorting in JIRA issue navigator?

Mageswari October 30, 2011

I'm trying to sort data in the issue navigator based on minimum three fields, just using column headers and not via Advanced Search.

If I click on the column headers one by one, the order I do that (sorting) gets changed.

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2011

Click on the headers you want in the reverse order.

ie if you want headers A then B then C

click on

C then B then A.

Simples ;)

6 votes
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2011

I believe this can be done with JQL only. Switch to the Advanced view and you'll see your query's JQL. Modify or add ORDER BY clause as described in the JQL documentation - e.g. "order by created, priority desc"

Mageswari October 30, 2011

Thanks and I understand that this works. But one of our clients is very particular that they don't want to use the Advanced search option.

Tried this on a trial and error basis: Switch to Advanced searching, tried clicking on the headers of various columns.

My requirement was to order the results by reporter first, then by assignee and finally 'Due date'. If I click on the headers in this sequence my JQL Query shows 'ORDER BY due DESC, assignee ASC, reporter ASC'; So, I do my sequence just opposite to my requirement and it works. Not sure whether there is any other way to do my sorting - Sort by A, then by B and finally by C.

Like Maysarah Abu-Laban likes this
Maysarah Abu-Laban November 19, 2018

Use this 

ORDER BY due DESC, assignee  ASC, reporter ASC
Like # people like this
Natalia Lezhai January 14, 2019

Hi @Maysarah Abu-Laban

What if I want different statuses to have different order on one board, this one did not work in filter:

ORDER BY status ("DONE", "In Progress") ASC, status ("TODO", "Released") DESC

what is wrong here?

Thank you a lot!

Maysarah Abu-Laban May 29, 2019

cannot be done this way

Vassilis Manolas April 5, 2021

Hi! This does not work for the case of:

• ORDER BY duedate ASC, Rank ASC

as I get the error about ranking

Screenshot from 2021-04-05 14-09-07.png

Has anyone else had the same?

2 votes