Fully automated installation/configuration of JIRA

Chris Kast March 1, 2015

I'm using Ansible to create a fully automated instance of JIRA. The main use-case is that it will allow us to test changes, upgrades, etc. on a test instance before we do it in production. I have the install all done as well as the database configuration. Where I'm blocked is the setting of the license. Is there any way to programmatically set this? If not, is there a certain file/folder I could grab from the production instance that would satisfy the licensing requirement? Basically, I want to press a button, go get some coffee, and come back to where I can open up a browser and be ready to create a project. Thanks!

7 answers

2 votes
Natalie Wenz January 27, 2016

Hey,

I'm trying the same by Ansible.

Since JIRA 7 the license information is stored in the database table productlicense.

You can automate your configuration by updating this table by inserting the license.

At the moment I am able to updating the application properties (app title and base url) by the table propertystring and the license by updating the table productlicense. I am still looking for a way to automatically create the administration user to avoid the last step in the setup wizard.

Any idea?

Thanks

Roberto Cardenas March 21, 2019

the table is not there is you dont go through out the process for at least once. :'(

1 vote
Nicholas_Burr July 12, 2019

AFAIK you will need a database dump/backup to get the configuration part completed.  During the setup wizard as far as I can tell, there is a connector file (dbconfig.xml) created and the database is set up with the proper tables.

Here are a couple of playbooks that will help get people started:

https://gitlab.com/nicholasburr_lab/atlassian_comunity

I solved the auto-configuration issue by installing Jira (with a temp license) and taking a backup of the database. On a fresh set of machines, I reinstalled the database + restored the database from the first install, then installed the Jira Software (with the dbconfig.xml).

If you have data in the application (projects etc) you should take a backup of the data and restore that before starting Jira, this will prevent any issues with the database and app data being skewed.

1 vote
Vishal Kulshrestha January 31, 2017

hey Folks, might be a late Q.. but can you share the Ansible playbook, script steps to automate creation of JIRA instance?

Thx,

Vk

1 vote
Richard Plana October 19, 2015

Is there any new answers or update to automating the installation of a license and configuration of JIRA instances? We also have a need to create a new instance as part of our dev/testing process

Jeff Everett November 14, 2017

Atlassian seems to be using the "unattended installation" verbiage to cover this scenario.  I think the best option here is to use the .bin installer and use a varfile as documented here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/unattended-installation-855475683.html

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
0 votes
sudhakar January 7, 2019

Dear Chirs kast,

If you have the code to automate the jira through Ansible can you pls send a mail with that code.

mail id : akkiraju1990@gmail.com

pls do needful

Regards

sudhakar

David Segovia Tomas February 1, 2019

Could you send it to me as well? Thanks in advance :)

Jagadeeswar Reddy March 26, 2019

Request you to send to me as well ...Thanks in advance !!!

Mail id: pvlrjr@gmail.com

hariharsudann April 4, 2019

hi if you have the ansible playbook please do share it with me sudanpsg@gmail.com

Lo ti April 17, 2019

Please send to me gioiti99@gmail.com as well.  Many thanks!!

Chris Kast April 18, 2019

Folks, I no longer work on JIRA and my Ansible code is back with my previous employer. But there are a bunch of playbooks for installing JIRA online that should get you most of the way there.

Roberto Cardenas April 18, 2019

Installing just jira is easy, the problem is when you try to skip the wizard configuration

Mevi Dvash January 6, 2020

Hi please send it to mevidvash@gmail.com .

Thank you 

Mevi 

0 votes
Chris Kast July 15, 2015

@Ryan Morten, not really. The way I ended up setting it up was my ansible script logs into the production console, grabs the latest backup, and then scp's it to the test instance's /var/atlassian/applicaton-data/jira/import folder. I still have to manually go through 2 screen to select "Restore" and the filename to restore from. If they had a "restore" API, i figured i could get this fully automated.

0 votes
Ryan Morten July 15, 2015

@Chris Kast: Hey did you make any progress on this?  I setup something similar with puppet but got stuck on the same portion sad

Suggest an answer