Filters not saving custom columns

Deleted user December 11, 2013

I have a user who is creating filters, but when he add's a column to the filter, he is unable to save it so everytime it refreshes the column disapears from his view.

Any ideas?

JIRA 6.1.4

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Larry Shatzer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2014
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2014

I don't think that's the problem - the report is about not being able to save the column order, not whether the field actually appears or not!

0 votes
Marc Minten _EVS_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2014

I did not only limit the custom field to the particular project, but also to one issue type. When I started the filter with "Project = XYZ AND issuetype = abc...", I was indeed able to add the custom field in the filter output.

I understand now. But we have 500 people using Jira, THEY do not know (and can not know) how exactly the custom fields are defined, and so how they should construct their filters. Very complicated to explain them all the cases.

Thanks anyway for your quick clarification!!! (you should join Atlassian lol)

0 votes
Marc Minten _EVS_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2014

Hi Nic, thanks for your answer. Indeed, these columns do not have a "global" context. They are only used in 1 project, the filter starts with "Project = XYZ...".

It's nice you call this a "long-standing and frustrating design failure"... I would call it a rather basic high priority DEFECT. Very, very very.. frustrating indeed.

Is this "behaviour" documented somewhere ? Do you know if issues are already registered for this (so I can add my useless vote to them :-)) ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2014

Yeah, I'm trying to be nice, avoiding the bad words I really think about it, and call it a "design failure" because I'm not sure it's technically a "defect" (it's designed that way. I reserve my bad words for whoever thought that was a good idea) Watch/comment/vote on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-9367

However if you're using Project = XYZ, it's not that problem.

Could you step through exactly what steps you're doing though, as you change the columns? I had a user who was going "add column, click save to return to the filter, click refresh to reload it, then complain that columns were missing" - because he'd not saved the changes to the filter, he was effectively reloading the current copy, which, of course, didn't have his column changes in it. (He needed "add column, click save to return to the filter, click save to save the filter, click refresh to reload it, then not complain that columns were missing" )

Juan Gabriel Mejia December 3, 2014

It's not a "design failure" nor a "defect" but a hook to make money. Now, instead of complainnig against JIRA and report incidences, everybody can buy the solution to "Show Saved Filter with Columns" ( https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.ja.jira.plugin.searchrequest).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2014

That addon is by a third party, not Atlassian, and it does NOT address the problem reported in the slightest.

0 votes
Marc Minten _EVS_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2014

I have the same issue. I have a filter owned by me. I can modify the query definition and save the modified filter. I can add and remove columns, but for some columns, as soon as you refresh the filter (click the "Search for Issues" icon), the added column dissapears from the filter, and so impossible to save the filter with these columns.

I added the columns to "Filter", not to "My Defailts" or "System"

I have the impression adding columns works with 'system' columns, but not for (some type of ???) custom columns. Did not find out yet what kind of columns cause problems.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2014

This could also be that the columns aren't valid for part of your query, so Jira is hiding them. Can you check that fields that are vanishing have a "global" context? They belong to ALL issue types and ALL projects? (Even if they aren't on screens)

This is a long-standing and frustrating design failure in Jira.

Jason Plumhoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2014

Thanks for posting this... I saw the same problem and wasn't able to figure out why columns were sometimes saved, but not other times. Once I started referencing the columns in the query (even if I didn't really want to filter by those columns), they persisted. Bad design...

Błażej O_
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2014

Jason, if you would like to convert your comment to an answer I would vote it up. That's a first working workaround for this issue I have seen. Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2014

It's not a good answer though. You don't need to use the columns on the filter to get them to appear.

Jason Plumhoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2014
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2014

Referencing the field in the query excludes issues for which the field is not valid. They will, of course, always show up then, but you could be losing issues from the filters intention. You need to check the validity of the columns - they ARE being saved, but because of this flaw in the design, they get hidden.

Błażej O_
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2014

Nic, sure, you SHOULD narrow the search only to issue types and projects that the field is valid for. But we do often do wide searches, including many issuetypes. It seems that in such case adding "AND (your_column is empty OR your_column is not empty)" is the only way to have your column in the filter AND show wide issuetypes palette.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2014

Yes, and that's why the answer is wrong - you could lose issues from the result because the field is not valid.

Błażej O_
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2014

I tested it. Darn it, you are right, I'm wrong. So there is no way to see a column both for issues that it is valid for and for those for which it is not?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2014

No, it's a right pain. Atlassian recently finally relented after years of complaints and said they might fix it, but I'm not holding my breath.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2013

Your user needs to save the filter with a distinct name, then use "options -> Set filter column order" to save the layout.

Deleted user December 11, 2013

I can't see the Options button (is this because I'm running 6.1.4?)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2013

I'm really sorry, I meant "tools", with the little cog.

Have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+Filters- there are some screenshots there along with better written guidance than I can give.

Deleted user December 12, 2013

This isn't a learning problem because I can do the same thing on mine and it will save the column layout, but it won't save it for his.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2013

You need to be very careful here - are you sure you are trying to save the *filter* column order? On a filter that is owned by the current user?

Deleted user December 12, 2013

Yeah, so he created a filter, added a column, but it won't save the extra column to the filter

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2013

That sounds like you are saving the users current config, not going in to the filter column edit list.

Susan Williams May 7, 2014

I am having this same problem, and I don't know what you mean by "going into the filter column edit list". I can't find any way to edit my filter. I tried adding the new column and then saving as a new filter, and that didn't work either.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2014

I'm not sure how else to say it. There's a significant difference between "what user has chosen to see" and "filter column order".

Try a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+Filters#UsingFilters-Definingafilter-specificcolumnorder

Susan Williams May 7, 2014

Here's a quote from the page you linked to:

To add a column layout to a saved filter:

1. ChooseIssues>Manage Filters.
  2. Click theMytab. This tab displays all the filters that have been created by you.
  3. Locate the filter you wish to update; click the filter's name to display the results. Be sure you are viewing the filter in theListview so that you see the columns.
  4. Configure the column order as desired by clicking on the column name and dragging it to the new position. Your changes are saved and will be displayed the next time you view this filter.

If I do this, and add a column that happens to be a custom field, it is not saved as #4 says it will be. It disappears as soon as I refresh the page. I also don't think the sorting works on a custom field (at least, not if you try to refer to the field by its name).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2014

All of this is working for me, so I really don't understand what's happening for you.

Which version of Jira are you on?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events