Oracle DB release

Anna Protopapa August 6, 2017

We are going to make the production installation for Jira Software and we have a question about the supported platforms: Can we use Oracle Database 12c Release 2?

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2017

Hi Anna,

For a full list of what's supported in which version of JIRA, check out this list here. There's a similar list for Confluence.

Specifically about Oracle 12c release 2, yes you can use that release of Oracle with the latest JIRA and Confluence versions. I would strongly recommend using the release 2 driver for JIRA and Confluence (12.2.0.1) which you can obtain here from Oracle. The ojdbc8.jar file needs to go into the lib folder in your application install directory, and any older ojdbc8.jar/ojdbc7.jar files should be removed from that directory. The release 1 drivers had bugs that affected JIRA.

Anna Protopapa August 7, 2017

Thank you Daniel,

Also can you suggest memory and disk space that we have to assign for this first production server for the database server? We are going to implement o Service Desk for the IT of a telecommunication company (about 2000 employees).

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2017

Hi Anna,

You'll want to take a look at the JIRA Sizing Guide.  2000 active users would constitute an Enterprise scale instance.

This should be a top of the line server with enterprise grade processing power (e.g. 6 quad cores or more) and the highest possible I/O performance (e.g. Raid 10, Solid State Disks).

This assumes would require the following:

• >128GB System Memory
  • A heap size that would be need to be determined by one of our experts
  • > 500 GB Total disk space

The heap size of the prior level of 600 active users is > 4GB for the heap so I would start with 8GB as a  max and 4GB as a minimum and go up from there if you see outofmemory errors in the logs or start to notice slow performance. 

Cheers,

Branden

Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2017

Note that the info Branden provided is specifically for the application server - although following his advice to contact an expert might help you with the sizing information for the database server. In general, if you have a DBA on staff I would try to lean on them for help in determining Oracle requirements.

In our organization with 400 users, here are the specs for our Oracle server (which hosts our production JIRA and Confluence):

Dell R710
CentOS 7.1
32GB RAM
1TB SAN attached storage (note that our databases are not nearly that large)

Michael Britton November 21, 2017

I'm also looking for this information. This is our first installation of Jira. We will be using an Oracle 12c Database. There should be some guidelines on the database storage requirements similar to what is provided for the application server requirements. Thx

Suggest an answer