How can I hide or remove an epic that has been done from my Kanban board?

Eduardo Fuenmayor May 25, 2017

Hi there,

I migrated some issues with their epics from a one project to another and almost everythig was put where it should be, except for one epic that still shows in my current Kanban board.

This epic is done and released, but it still shows in the board, I don't know why.

Since this is something we are not currently working on, I find it a bit annoying to have it there. Is there a way to hide it or remove it from the board without deleting the epic?

I have tried every trick I found (editing, moving, etc.) with no success.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Eduardo

7 answers

1 vote
Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 13, 2017

I can see on your screeshoot that you're reffering to the Epic Panel no the board itself.

To remove the epic from this list you have to change the EpicStatus field to Done. You can do this from the Epic Panel->Select the issue->Click the small Square/triangle icon->"Mark as Done"

Or you can use our Plugin the Agile Board Filter which includes a Live search and next week we'll be releasing new filtering options:

- Uncompleted

- Unestimated 

Uncompleted.png

0 votes
Fernanda Luksic January 12, 2021

Hi! I still have problems understanding this. I go to Board Settings and find the Query filters but do not understand what to put in order to filter the done epics out (I went to the epics and set them to done but they still appear in my board). I also noticed that many of you talk about Epic Status but I cannot seem to find that field. 

Please help! 

Thank you! 

David Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2021

Hi Fernanda,

in order to make Epics disapear from your Board, you#ll have to mark them as done. That refers to the epic status which is different from the workflow status of an epic issue.2021-01-12 13_46_19-ACP board - Agile Board - Jira.png

Fernanda Luksic January 12, 2021

Hi David! 

Thank you for your answer! I did that and now when I go to see them in swimlanes they still appear ALL of them! and when I click "Hide done epics" They all go away which makes no sense! Please help! 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2021

Can you share the JQL you have?

0 votes
Charles Ladesic November 9, 2017

I had the same issue where I created EPIC's to track parts of the project then tasks under the EPIC. I found that if you close the tasks and the EPIC task it breaks and still shows up on the Panel. As a work around I closed out all the Tasks under the EPIC, then used the option in the panel to mark the EPIC done which will remove it from the Dashboard. By marking the EPIC done directly other than the Panel it remains in there and you have to delete it since I can't figure out how to reopen it.

Charles Ladesic November 9, 2017

Actually I figured that if you Start progress again it reopens the task and you'll be able to close out the Epic on the panel, then you have to go the EPIC Task and mark it done. Make sure you close out the EPIC Panel first otherwise it wont remove it.

0 votes
Eduardo Fuenmayor May 26, 2017

You mean the card id of the epic? CCDB-220, so it is associated with that project. Not sure if this is what you are asking.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2017

That's what I was asking. :-)

When you do a move, the Project it is associate with should change as well. The new ID would not be CCDB-220 but the new project code along with the next number for that project. 

Have you actually tried to do a move? If so, what happened because it did not actually move. 

If not, try that first.

This epic was moved from the RAC Dev Project to the CCDB project already and I want it to stay there. So yes, I already moved it. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2017

And it is still showing up on the RAC project?

Nope. I moved everything from that project to the CCDB project, so there's nothing there.

By the way, in the RAC Dev project I had several completed epics. I moved them all at the same time to the CCDB project. All other epics, except for the Planning one, are in the right place. Since this was done in a bulk change, I don't understand why this single one ended up showing up in the CCDB Kanban backlog. Weird.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2017

Oh, I think I understand now - it just has the wrong status. Can you not just change the status from from Backlog to Done (moving in interim statuses if necessary)?

The status is done already. It actually had that status since I moved it to the CCDB project. That does not change anything...

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2017

Can you provide a screen print of the issue itself?

Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 4.19.59 PM.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2017

Maybe it has something to do with the Fix Version. Other than that, I'm not sure. Sorry. Probably time to open a ticket with support.

Eduardo Fuenmayor May 30, 2017

Thanks anyways.

0 votes

Ok, this it what it shows.

Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 10.57.07 AM.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2017

And what is the card id? What project is it associated with?

0 votes

Hi Rachel,

I don't see a "Configure" button; I click on the three dots in the top right and go to Board settings. I assume that is what you are referring to? There I see "Quick filters", which currently have to active filters:

assignee = currentUser()

updatedDate >= -1d

I think these filters come by default as I did not created them. Not sure exactly what they do.

I am attaching a screenshot. The epic I'm referring to is "Planning for release 1".

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 8.57.31 AM.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2017

Once you click on Board Settings, chose General, not Quck Filters. The information being asked for is in the Filter Query section. 

David Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2018

@Eduardo Fuenmayor
Epic has to be marked as "Done" - click on the coloured triangle to do so.

Epics have an additional 'Epic Status' field. Only when this is set to 'done' either manually or by workflow, epics will disappear from the kanban backlog. 

0 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2017

Hi Eduardo,

I think we'll need more information to answer your question.  First, what is the query (filter) powering your board?  We need to figure out what in your filter is letting that issue hang around.  

Go to the board and click the "Configure" (JIRA Server) or "..." (JIRA Cloud) button at the top right.  (You'll need to be a board admin to see this button.)  Click the "Edit Filter Query" link to go to the JIRA search results page which will display the filter.

Some screenshots might help us as well.

In the mean time, a poor man's fix would be to exclude the issue ID from the filter.  You could add "and issue != key-1234" to the end of your filter.

No need to delete your Epic!

We're standing by for more information,

Rachel Wright

Suggest an answer