Assign to first member post-function

Oleg Krasikov April 4, 2017

Hi!

How to assign issue to first member with post-function? I realy can't understand this. It will be great, if someone tell how to do it step by step.

Thanks a lot.

1 answer

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2017

Hi Oleg - What do you mean by 'first member' here?

For example:

I assign issue to DevA

After that DevA move issue to "In process"

After comleting DevA move issue to "Testing"

QA move back it to "In process"

How to assign automaticaly issue to DevA, when QA move it back?

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2017

OK. What about in this example:

• I create issue and assign to DevA
  • DevA moves the issue to 'In Progress' and assigns to DevB.
  • DevB completes work and moves to 'Testing', assigned to QA.
  • QA moves back to 'In progress',

When QA moves it back, should the issue be assigned to DevA (i.e. the first assignee) or DevB (i.e. the previous assignee)?

Also, what version of JIRA are you using?

p.s. I edited your comment to remove whitespace.

Issue should be assigned to DevA.

Im newbie, now I use cloud JIRA, as I understand it provides the last version.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2017

OK. Simply knowing that it is Cloud helps, as there are some sublte differences between that and Server versions of JIRA.

There are a couple of options here. I'll describe one and you can see if it helps:

Using the Component/s functionality in JIRA has least configuration, but might not be exactly what you want.

Example: If DevA is a 'lead' developer who is reposible for, say, user interface related issues.

You can can add a new Component called 'User Interface', set DevA as the lead, and set default assignee to 'Component Lead'.

This means that, when you create an issue and pick 'User Interface' as Component, the issue can be automatically assigned to DevA.

If you want to make the issue get automatically assigned back to DevA when it a particular transition occurs (for example, when it moves from 'Testing' status back to 'In Progress' status) you can do this by adding a post function in your workflow:

• Edit your workflow to create a draft workflow
  • Find the transition you want to update and click on it to edit.
  • Choose 'Post Functions' to show the 'Post Functions' tab.
  • Click 'Add post function'
  • Pick the 'Assign to Lead Developer' post function and click the 'Add' button.
  • Publish the draft workflow

Now, any issue where Component is set to 'User Interface' will be auto-assigned to DevA when the issue status changes.

If it is not quite what you want, I can suggest some other methods, so please let me know.

Thanks for help. Unfortunately, it isn't quite what I want. 

There are a lot of Devs: DevA, DevB, DevC and any of them may be FirstDev

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2017

Hi Oleg - apologies, I missed your response otherwise I would have replied earlier.

In that case, you could try the following steps:

• Raise a support request to get JIRA Suite Utlilities enabled on your Cloud instance to make the following post functions available (if they are not already):

'Copy Value From Other Field'
    'Update Issue Custom Field'

(read this thread for the background)

• Create a customfield (type: user picker) to store the 'First Dev'.

• In your workflow, make sure that this 'First Dev' field is set when the issue gets created or assigned out for work.

Either make the field mandatory in the field configuration, or use validators in your workflow transitions to make sure it is set.

You could even use the 'Copy Value From Other Field' post function to copy 'First Dev' from the assignee set in a particular transition.

• In your workflow, on the transition that the issue from 'Testing' back to 'In Progress', you can use the 'Copy Value From Other Field' post function to copy the value from 'First Dev' into 'Assignee', so it is auto-assigned to the right person.

Hope this helps. If you try, let me know of any problems and I'll try to help more.

Suggest an answer