Can you please clarify your migration algorithm/policy?

Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2017

Hi Team,

According to Announcing the new Atlassian Community, "all answered usage and admin questions from Atlassian Answers will be migrated over to our new community".

However, without checking into the details, I noticed that from my IIRC ~200 answers with some 60+ accepted, only 194 with 49 accepted found their way to this new site.

Can you please clarify which non spam answers have deliberately been left out, if any?

Thanks,
Steffen

6 answers

4 votes
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2017

I should have been more specific in the announcement about specifically what we are leaving out. We are splitting the dev community, so dev questions are not in this community. That's what's been left out of the migration. It's anything that was tagged with *-development, mostly. There are a few other tags like 'atlassian-connect' that aren't in.

The dev community is still being built out, but I believe we are thinking that we will not import old content from there. 

Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2017

Thanks for the explanation Jeremy.

While I completely understand your thinking behind this, I have to say that I strongly disagree with the execution and result of this conceptually reasonable strategy:

Just a random sample across a few of my included/excluded answers, plus a few of fellow community members in my mail archive seems to confirm that the presence or absence of a *-development tag is pretty much arbitrary regarding the classification of the content being primarily developer focused. And I think that's not all that surprising, given tags have been community curated, if at all.

Accordingly, the IMHO highly questionable net result seems to be that a lot of potentially valuable user/admin oriented content is lost, whereas quite some strictly developer oriented content has been migrated.

Given it seems inconceivable to properly classify the questions into either category (except for some fancy machine learning sentiment analysis eventually), is there any chance you might reconsider this and simply migrate the answered yet skipped *-development questions too?

Cheers,
Steffen

Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2017

While I completely understand your thinking behind this, I have to say that I strongly disagree with the execution and result of this conceptually reasonable strategy:

Just a random sample across a few of my included/excluded answers, plus a few of fellow community members in my mail archive seems to confirm that the presence or absence of a *-development tag is pretty much arbitrary regarding the classification of the content being primarily developer focused. And I think that's not all that surprising, given tags have been community curated, if at all.

Accordingly, the IMHO highly questionable net result seems to be that a lot of potentially valuable user/admin oriented content is lost, whereas quite some strictly developer oriented content has been migrated.

Given it seems inconceivable to properly classify the questions into either category (except for some fancy machine learning sentiment analysis eventually), is there any chance you might reconsider this and simply migrate the answered yet skipped *-development questions too?

Cheers,
Steffen

Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2017

<deleted duplicate comment>

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2017

Thanks for the info Jeremy. Seems a shame if all those dev questions were lost forever...

Blake April 5, 2017

Definitely a shame, and beyond that, painful. I was using those dev questions and knowledge to help complete a project due for a client next week and now I need to tell them I'm not able to deliver on time. I can't find the info I need or if I do find it, it takes 5x longer to find.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2017

"we are thinking that we will not import old content from there."

I'm amazed that you are so casually considering consigning the work of thousands of users over many years to the trash.

It's not "old content" - some of it is absolutely current, and of course some of it is old. Unless you intend to delete all "old" (ie all) content every few years, then you and the community need to come up with a process for pruning and keeping things current - just deleting everything now and again is not the right solution.

2 votes
Leslie Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2017

@all - It was the wrong call to remove all development-related tags from the user community. The decision has been reversed and all content is NOW back in the community. 

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2017
1 vote
Peter Van de Voorde
Atlassian Team
April 5, 2017

Hey all,

I've written an article about our decision to separate the community and not to migrate the content.

You can find it here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Feedback-Forum-articles/The-Atlassian-Developer-Community/ba-p/459061

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2017

So, what shall we do, if someone asks a question here about writing a script or a user macro? Redirect to the developer community?

Sometimes the line between administration and developing is very small and also, I am not pleased that all these developer-tagged-questions from "Answers" disappeared. 

Peter Van de Voorde
Atlassian Team
April 5, 2017

Hey Thomas,

as scripts and user macro's are part of the regular usages of our tools they are not considered to be developer content.

The Atlassian developer community is specifically focussed on developers who are building on top of our products. 

So questions around how to build an add-on should be sent to the developer community. Everything else can stay in the user community.

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2017

Let me note that the Google index is still full of references to the old Answers site, with highly relevant hits. But, all those links get redirected to the homepage of the new Community site without any explanation. It does not even explain that it is the replacement of the old site... (A more intelligent redirect could be better.)

Although I realize that I can read the old posts using the Cached option of Google, I reckon the majority of the users will not do that.

Result: lots and lots of value and engaged visitors lost!!

0 votes
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2017

Strangely, I seem to be unable to post this as a comment to Jeremy's answer (it looks posted, but has vanished on browser refresh), so here it goes as an answer:

----

While I completely understand your thinking behind this, I have to say that I strongly disagree with the execution and result of this conceptually reasonable strategy:

Just a random sample across a few of my included/excluded answers, plus a few of fellow community members in my mail archive seems to confirm that the presence or absence of a *-development tag is pretty much arbitrary regarding the classification of the content being primarily developer focused. And I think that's not all that surprising, given tags have been community curated, if at all.

Accordingly, the IMHO highly questionable net result seems to be that a lot of potentially valuable user/admin oriented content is lost, whereas quite some strictly developer oriented content has been migrated.

Given it seems inconceivable to properly classify the questions into either category (except for some fancy machine learning sentiment analysis eventually), is there any chance you might reconsider this and simply migrate the answered yet skipped *-development questions too?

Cheers,
Steffen

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 4, 2017

Steffen, it got caught in the spam quarantine. Now it has appeared here a bunch of times. :/

Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2017

I see, thanks for the feedback Monique! Pending a solution for How can I delete my own content?, I've stripped the duplicate comment, please feel free to delete it.

As just commented on Why does a posted comment seemingly disappear into thin air without any error message?, "the usability here is obviously not ideal (...), because I had no indication whatsoever that my comment might be in moderation still". So in case the spam trap continues to trigger in certain scenarios even for already established users, I hope this lack of feedback can be remedied down the road ...

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2017

For clarity (I hope), I created a seperate question to ask for improvement on the user experience when answers/replies get held up in moderation/spam quarantine: 

Suggestion: Can there be better feedback on responses awaiting moderation?

Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2020

Hi

This happened to my recent posts. Did you know How I can handle it?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events