The Community Leaders guide to A+ answers

Hello, Community!

We are frequently asked about the makings of a "good answer" on Community, so we're sharing out our Community Leaders guide to A+ answers with everyone. (If you're not familiar, our Leaders answer questions, write articles and serve as stewards of our little corner of the internet.)

Read on to discover the tips we give our Leaders who represent the Atlassian brand and voice, as well as some examples of threads that have made our (growing) Answers Hall of Fame.

1433505778224.jpg

Answers hall of fame 

Nic Brough helps a newbie understand fields and their usages Jira

A+ attributes:

• Speaks human: Not everyone speaks fluent Jira. In his response, Nick broke down the solution using relatable language that gets right to the point.
  • Breaks it down: When delivering a multi-part answer, using bullets and/or numbers is usually a good idea. Breaking up your solution into chunks allows readers to process what you're saying, execute upon it, and then pick up where they left off. 

Cameron knocks the socks off of asker + Atlassian team alike with his comprehensive tips for how Portfolio for Jira on-boarding

A+ attributes:

• Gives definitions: Similar to adding bullets or numbers, headers are also a great way to segment your answers. In his response, Cameron gives each section a topic name. In doing so, readers can browse the post and choose the topics they're most interested in learning about. 
  • Provides perspective: When a user has a question, their first instinct is usually to Google it. If Atlassian has already created content about their question, they are likely to find it on a different Atlassian domain. The magic of the Community is that users answer questions using their own experiences to provide context. Cameron does just that in his response, using his own experience to structure his tips. 

Thomas keeps it short n' sweet

A+ attributes:

• Uses examples: Especially for visual learners, screenshots help readers get their bearings when trying to follow directions. Thomas' screenshot of where to find a sorting function helped the question asker quickly and easily find his answer. 

Jack reaches out to a frustrated member of the Community

A+ attributes:

• Not condescending: He doesn't attempt to explain why this person shouldn't be feeling this way. He validates the person's opinion and asks for additional details in an attempt to reach a solution.

If you see an A+ answer, please shoot an email to bsauer@atlassian.com so that we can add it to the Leader Answer Hall of Fame! 

What if...

I make a mistake in my answer?

• If you aren’t 100% sure that you’re giving the right answer, no sweat! Just let the people know that your response is an educated guess, and finish your post with an open invite for other users to chime in with their own opinion. 
  • Ex: “That’s my take, at least. Interested to hear what others have experienced!"

If I see a mistake in someone else’s answer?

• If you identify an issue with another user’s answer, take a page out of Kendrik Lamar’s book and, “Sit down (to give the right answer), be humble.” Be sure to acknowledge any correct part of the wrong answer, while being very clear about where they went wrong and why.
  • Ex: “While that might be a good way of doing it for your use case, I’ve also found that doing XYZ helps achieve the same result in 1/3 the time."

I see someone else being snarky or disrespectful?

• If you see something, say something! If you feel comfortable, respectfully remind said snark giver that while constructive criticism or dissenting opinions are encouraged, disrespect is not. 

At the end of the day, you all are the real experts! Please feel free to add your own tips to giving good answers in the comments below. (Or put the above guidelines to work and test your good answering skills). 

8 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2018

...."The magic of the Community is that users answer questions using their own experiences to provide context. "....

Captured the essence. 

Great Article :)

Like # people like this
Paula July 11, 2018

Excited to growing to becoming a champion ;)

Like # people like this
David Alejandro García January 24, 2019

Nice initiative, I think the foundation of every good platform is the knowledge and share & learn with others.

Like # people like this
Khadiga AL-Gunaid September 3, 2020

I got very excited.

Like # people like this
Prashant Sangappa Shivashimpi November 30, 2020

These guidelines and tips are very much clear and crisp plus super friendly. They really help in making this Community Go A Very Long Way and stand out for all Atlassian Product Lovers..

I am HUGE fan of Atlassian Product Suite..I Love Atlassian.. :)

BR,

Prashant.

Like akta domka likes this
Dan Sulzinger, SP, SSM, SA, SDP, MCA January 28, 2021

Guidelines are interesting. To many rules no one plays the game. Frameworks allow creativity and honest answers. Structure is a giant wrecking ball. 

Like akta domka likes this
Natalia Lyatytskaya March 9, 2022

Happy to become a part of Atlassian  Community)

HinoRyu October 3, 2022

最低限のルールを守りながら、このコミュニティ リーダー ガイドを手本とし、手本と、少しでも多くの困っている方々や悩んでいる方々を手助けできるよう真摯にコミニケーションを取るように心がけたいと思います。

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events