Community release notes for July 17, 2020

Hello, community! Here with another edition of community release notes. What's new, what's coming up, what you may have missed.

New: Hot off the press, we have a new badge for sharing your favorite Trello Template. Have fun with this one, Trello fans!

Updated: Remember when you could have spaces in your username, then you couldn't anymore? Well now you can again! Community uses the "Public name" field on your Atlassian profile.  The Community username is updated both a) when a user logs into Community and b) when the Identity "Public name" gets updated.

Note that Public name updates are queued by our services so are therefore not immediate. Thanks for the info @timmy!

Updated: As a side note, your community profile used to say "Full name" but was actually displaying and using "Public name." That's been fixed. 

New: Our Marketplace Partners have a new program name! We are working on updating the badge and lozenge accordingly. 

Changed: The default for email notifications changed on July 1, affecting anyone who hasn't set a preference in the past. Now, if you are watching a collection or group, instead of a weekly digest, you will get individual emails. You can update this preference in your notification settings.  

Heads up: Speaking of email, we're making a back-end change to our email system on Tuesday, July 21. This should not impact your notifications, but please let us know if you see any weirdness as a result. 

Late-breaking news is that we are not making this change on Tuesday due to some wonkiness this week. (We've had some post replies disappearing and reappearing.) The team wants to wait until the site is stable before making any other changes. I'll keep you posted! 

Any questions or feedback? As always, we're here for you in the comments! 

7 comments

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2020

Now dashi-names only exist in pictures

image.png

Like Monique vdB likes this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2020

Didn't know about this new Trello Template badge! Thank you for the updates as well :)

Thomas Bowskill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2020

The email notifications are great for me -- a little noisy, but I actually find it's easier to see the things I am interested in now that I get an email each time; I never got to the bottom of the daily digests. Already has meant I am posting more in the community.

Although this does need to go hand-in-hand with managing email subscriptions -- can you see if there is a way to prioritise / filter notifications against a search over notifications on a specific topic? I have 7 pages of notifications (not that much, granted) and most are just the auto-watch that happens when I reply to a post. There have been a few search notifications that I had to page through and remove, which was a bit of a faff to have to do.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 17, 2020

@Thomas Bowskill that was the hope in making the change, so I'm glad to hear you're liking it! 

Can you tell me more about how prioritized notifications would work? 

Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 18, 2020

Thanks for the update!

Thomas Bowskill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2020

@Monique vdB I'd reckon the following would be useful for notification management

• Having a (probably behind-the-scenes) ID for each notification so that my email notifications can contain a hyperlink to the exact notification alert that resulted in the email (probably a large portion of the time I'd be looking to just turn off one specific notification, so being able to click there -- or even turn off -- from the email would be great).
  • Drop-down filters on the "Type" column and search on the "Subscription" column would make notifications easier to traverse. (e.g. I want to see "Articles" containing the word "Trello" that I am subscribed to.)
  • Improving how the "Type" is demarcated would be useful as well (and specifically this is my point about "prioritising" these). E.g. I have a lot of "Article" notifications, but some are search terms, while others as specific threads in the community. e.g.

Oh and that also assumes functionality that lets you then select which of your search results you then chose to ignore (kind of like JIRA Bulk edit -- you narrow with your JQL, then choose a number of the results to edit).

I hope I made sense and that helps :)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 29, 2020

@Thomas Bowskill thank you for this! We do have a ticket in the backlog for turning off specific notifications from email but I will make sure we're keeping this use case in mind. 

The ideas about improving the notifications page are interesting too! I've put them on the Trello board where our Community Leaders can vote for them. I think your input behind the scenes could be valuable, if you've ever considered applying. :) 

Like Thomas Bowskill likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events