“JIRA server could not be contacted, this may be a temporary failure or the server may be down.”

yong hu March 6, 2020

When I install JIRA 8.7.0, everything is normal; but when I install conference 7.3.2 and import JIRA users, ordinary users will log in to JIRA and exit immediately, and this prompt message will appear.

“ JIRA server could not be contacted, this may be a temporary failure or the server may be down.”

But there is no problem when using the administrator account to log in.

20200306175947.png

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2020

Hi @yong hu,

I've had to translate your issue into English, but from what I am understanding, Jira 8.7.0 was working fine. You then installed Confluence 7.3.2, and now you're seeing an error whenever you login to Jira.

Can you please let me know what that error message says in English? I'm not able to translate the image.

Shannon

yong hu March 8, 2020

I'm sorry that I didn't consider that Chinese is not as convenient to read as English.

When I install JIRA 8.7.0, everything is normal; but when I install conference 7.3.2 and import JIRA users, ordinary users will log in to JIRA and exit immediately, and this prompt message will appear.

“ JIRA server could not be contacted, this may be a temporary failure or the server may be down.”

But there is no problem when using the administrator account to log in.

yong hu March 8, 2020

What I can be sure of is that both JIRA and conference are up and running.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2020

Hi @yong hu,

It seems like there's an issue with your User Management setup. 

Are you using the local directory for user management, or using Jira to manage your Confluence users? Can you walk me through the steps you took to import the Jira users?

Please also show me what your User Directories setup looks like on Confluence.

It will also help if you can let me know what error messages appear in your server logs when the error occurs.

Thank you!

Shannon

yong hu March 10, 2020

Hi @Shannon S 

I import LDAP users in JIRA, and then I import users in JIRA in conference.

Admin users are system administrators in JIRA and conference, and JIRA and other ordinary users in conference are the same.

When JIRA and conference are bound, when I log in, as long as "remember login information" is checked, the above questions will not appear.

Yong_hu

yong hu March 10, 2020

Hi @Shannon S 

I see this error message in the database log file, but I'm not sure what the impact will be.

20200311135128.png

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 11, 2020

Hi @yong hu,

That doesn't really tell us what the error is, but it could be something like this:

About your user management - Jira and Confluence aren't sharing the same userbase?

Can you please still show me  a screenshot of your User Directories setup is like? I'd like to see that both for Jira and Confluence, if you could.

Thank you!

Shannon

yong hu March 11, 2020

Hi @Shannon S 

I've set up "max_allowed_packet", which is the configuration added in my "my.cnf".

20200311182934.png

This is my configuration for importing LDAP users in JIRA.

20200311183424.png20200311183515.png

This is the configuration of the JIRA user that I imported in the conference.

20200311183749.png

When I log in to JIRA or conference, I need to check "remember my login information".

20200311183922.png

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 19, 2020

Hello @yong hu,

Thank you for providing that information. 

Can you confirm with me a bit more about your database? 

1. What database version are you running for your Jira and Confluence sites?
  2. Where is that database server located in relation to your Jira and Confluence sites?

It would be helpful if we can take a look at your support zip, but that would need to be done through a support ticket. Have you already raised a support ticket for this case? I wasn't able to find any information about your current license, but you can raise a support ticket through support.atlassian.com. If you go that route, can you please let me know once you've done so, and I can add the previous troubleshooting steps to your case.

Thank you!

Shannon

yong hu April 12, 2020

Hi @Shannon S 

I'm sorry to see your reply now.

The database version is MySQL5.7.29, which is my test environment. When I apply for the trial license, it is in my own virtual network and cannot be accessed through the external network.

My database, JIRA and conference are all in the same centos7 virtual host.

Nothing unusual seems to have happened recently.

Thank you!

Yong_hu

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 15, 2020

Hi Yong Hu,

Thank you for everything you've provided so far.

I'm raising a ticket now with our internal team. Check your email and someone should be in touch with you shortly.

Once resolved, we can update this thread so it will help other users if they experience the same issue.

Regards,

Shannon

Robert Higuera
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 31, 2023

I know this is an old issue, but I am having the exact same issue, I even have the exact same symptoms like if I check "remember my login for this computer' then everything works fine, otherwise I get the same "Jira server cannot be contacted". Was there a solution for this issue?

Thank you,

Suggest an answer