Page status, a new way to keep your team informed!

97 comments

Jonathan Yee July 5, 2022

As @Jean W. pointed out the current /status works the same with extra benefit for page properties.
But that falls short for filtering pages.

Can this new status be used as a filter. If it can't I don't see how this brings operational benefit rather than just a UX benefit.

As well be nice if the status can be shown on the side menu, instead of clicking on page to find out.

Like # people like this
Jeret Shuck July 12, 2022

I hope this is the foundation for more in Confluence. This feature alone doesn't do a ton. Not to mention you can't see it unless the page is on the "edit" screen. Also, need a way to filter pages based on the status if this is going to be used.

Like # people like this
Matt Meissner July 13, 2022

I'm liking this new feature, if you manage a space, will it be possible to filter/search for pages with a specific status? (e.g. view all "ready for review" pages in a specific space of which I am a domain expert)

Like # people like this
Ibrahim Farhan July 13, 2022

Was this announced before?

How many vendors where trying to develop such a page status as an App and now their efforts are vanished! 

Like C_ Dicker likes this
Sergio Giganti July 13, 2022

How can I get this Content Status value in a Page Property Macro?

Like # people like this
Karie Price July 13, 2022

I love that this is now available and I don't have to continue adding info boxes at the top of the page to indicate status!

thisismissem July 13, 2022

A neat related feature you could look at for Page Statuses is automatically changing status; e.g., moving a page from "Approved" to "Needs Review" every 3 months to support auditing, where documentation needs to be audited and reviewed for compliance every X months.

Saw this in as a feature in a docs tool in a recent blog post about SOC2 compliance, where just having a page become "needs review" every N months helped them quickly make sure everything was up to date on a regularly basis, in case documentation was forgotten about.

Like Chester Ashton John likes this
Paula Pokusa July 13, 2022

The most concerning piece for me is that the ability to create custom page statuses happens by space. In efforts of standardizing, this would essentially go against that if people just make and use their own statuses in their spaces. Is there a way to control this at a site level? I see at the space level you can restrict the ability to create custom statuses but it is not realistic or a good use of time for us to go space by space and restrict that. 

Some other questions: 

• Are there plans for automation to work with page status?
  • Are there plans to allow changing of the page status not just when in edit mode?
  • Is it possible to restrict who can change the status or will everyone with edit access to a page be able to do so?
Like # people like this
Maxwell Stephens July 13, 2022

Great job team, can we get custom email addresses for Confluence notifications now? https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-68551

Like Max Foerster - K15t likes this
Kristian Klima July 13, 2022

Upon testing, this doesn't do much - it appears to be an elevated label.

It would be useful if the status would actually prevent the page from being published to the public site.

BUT, there's an API so I'm looking forward for Comala and K15t to pick it up and make it useful in their Publishing, Workflow and Viewport respectively. 

Having said that, page-based workflow (allowing to exclude any page to stay in Draft until ready) is essential for continuous delivery/release when it's ESSENTIAL to work along multiple development swimlanes simultaneously.

Like # people like this
Bryan Tiang July 13, 2022

How does this work together with Comala Document Management?

The native page status is definitely better than Comalas. Will comala adopt this as their new page status feature?

Like C_ Dicker likes this
Karin Scheidel July 13, 2022

Nice to see, but can the following small things be improved?

• I can only make 5 different states, instead of 6 that are shown in one of the images.
  • Moreover the amount of characters to be used, is also limited.
  • And you can not change an option, but only delete it and make a new one. 

Thanks

Like Max Foerster - K15t likes this
s.akbarov July 13, 2022

A very useful feature! Thank you! 

Lasse July 13, 2022

Very nice. But is it possible to manage the settings for the status for all spaces at once or is it  necessary to change this settings for every single space?

Kristian Klima July 13, 2022

@Bryan Tiang - it doesn't work with Comala and it doesn't work with K15t's Scroll Viewport (yet).

Given that there appears to be API for Page Status, I guess it could be implemented in future.

I devised a workaround to use Comala Doc Management and Publishing with Scroll Documents and Viewport for granular workflow and publishing control (https://help-cloud.k15t.com/scroll-viewport/how-to-control-publishing-of-changes#HowToControlPublishingofChanges-Syncchangesbetweenadraftandpublishedspace

I guess it's a matter of time when Marketplace vendors tap into page status API to make the feature useful.

Like Matt Reiner _K15t_ likes this
Lucas Mazzino July 14, 2022

Nice feature !!!

But, why I don´t see the hover menu?

It is because is only for Cloud?

So, with my Server installation I cannot use it?

Thanks!

Captura.PNG

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2022

@Lucas Mazzino yes, it is Confluence Cloud only.

Ricardo Cerceau July 14, 2022

Good Job!!

Patrick Tschache July 14, 2022

Looks very good! Is it also possible or planned that a status or status change can be "forced". This would be very helpful for quality management (DIN EN ISO 9001).

Jacob Jeffers July 14, 2022

As a space maintainer - it would be helpful if I could see a report or overview of all pages and their statuses. During document reviews, it would be helpful to get a list of pages by status and prioritize what works needs to be done to those pages to get them finalized.

Like # people like this
Nick Blake July 14, 2022

This looks great and will be fantastic to have, any idea when Cloud users can expect to see this?

James Conway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2022

@Bryan Tiang I am one of the product managers for Comala Document Management. Regarding your questions...

How does this work together with Comala Document Management?

Currently there is no integration between this new Confluence feature and Comala Document Management.

The native page status is definitely better than Comalas. Will comala adopt this as their new page status feature?

We currently don't have any plans to adopt this feature. Would you be able to contact us through https://support.comalatech.com so we can better understand why you feel this status is better than the Comala Document Management status.

All the best

James

Like Kristian Klima likes this
Lennart Hagberg July 15, 2022

Wow! Really a game changer. We've implemented it straight off the bat. As always when you give us something - we ask for more... 😉

Can we list pages based on content status? That would be awesome.

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2022

The introduction of page status on a space level is so awesome. 🤩 It's funny how quickly you can roll out a new feature like that internally if it adds real value. 😄

But let's be honest, as a few people mentioned, there is room for improvement. The lack of an easy way to report on page statuses or being able to edit a status quickly is a bit of a bummer.

For everyone interested in a solution, have a look at this gif. 😎

Page+Status+Short.gif

• Yes, these are the available page statuses for a page.
  • Yes, you can edit them inline.
  • And yes again, you can report on them. 😄

We added the support for page statuses to our app Orderly Databases for Confluence to have a workaround for the existing limitations. You can edit the page's status inline without having to open the editor, too. 😉

orderly_page_status_inline.png

Of course, that's not all Orderly can do to help you structure and maintain your content in Confluence. But if anyone is interested in learning more, contact me. 🤘🏼

Best, Max

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events