Images show "Preview unavailable" for no apparent reason (was working yesterday)

YG June 29, 2022

Hello,

For some reason several of my pages now display "Preview unavailable" for plain ordinary PNG files. They were showing up on the page as a preview yesterday.

Example:

kevin@Kevin-MacBook-Pro Downloads % file "Tech Diagram - Frontend.drawio (15).png"

PNG image data, 16384 x 13188, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced

kevin@Kevin-MacBook-Pro Downloads % du -hs "Tech Diagram - Frontend.drawio (15).png"

7.0M - Tech Diagram - Frontend.drawio (15).png

52 comments

Carolyn Beefelt August 2, 2022

This just started happening to me as well. Pages that have had the image files displaying without issue for years suddenly say "Preview Unavailable"

Tim August 23, 2022

Same here, some users can see it, others can't, including adminstrators

Julien Vigarié September 5, 2022

Hello there,

We are experiencing the same issue.

A beautiful "Preview Unavailable", on all our included images from other pages.

All the users are impacted, all the included content to

Any workaround? or better, a long term solution planned to fix this?

Many thanks

David Rahmel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 19, 2024

This problem was driving me nuts. Here is the work around that worked for me. 

The issue for me seems to be with Jira's Create new Ticket dialog overlay. Any time I try to insert images in I get a 'Preview Unavailable'. Doesn't matter if it is from SnagIt or if I try to upload and insert a jpg. If there are Preview unavailable images, the system will not let you submit the ticket so you have to trash them.

However, if I create the ticket text only. I can then go back in and edit it. Then, I can paste images without issue.

Hope this helps someone else.

PreviewUnavailable.jpg

Tammie Hall October 10, 2022

Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue.  Can anybody from Atlassian offer a resolution?

Thanks!

Balaje October 11, 2022

Hello, I am experiencing a similar issue, although in a different scenario.

We have an automation rule that clones a ticket from project A to project B, when the ticket is set to "in progress" state in project A.

The ticket cloning is successful, but the images are not copied properly. In project B, it says "preview unavailable" (while it continues to display well in project A, no issues in the original ticket)

Not sure how to fix this. Any input will be helpful?

Thanks.

German Segovia Suarez October 11, 2022

hello, We are experiencing the same issue.

What's going on?

Thanks

Joe Free November 1, 2022

I'm having the same issue.  Not sure this is related but I copied some content with images and text from Confluence and pasted into the overview in Jira. It brought the text and several images with the "preview unavailable".

I went through and copy and pasted the old images one by one into Jira and it looked great.  Then after leaving and viewing something else, I came back and the images wouldn't load saying "preview unavailable". 

Has anyone found a workaround?

Vieri Lusen December 20, 2022

Any Update ?

mstath1s January 3, 2023

Same here and to half of my team (3 people). It would be awesome if somebody from the Atlassian team could provide some details if they are able to reproduce.
firefox_UKwvdkWNma.png

Sara Wheatcroft January 3, 2023

We've got the same issue here, but it's only affecting certain pages. We need those pages, though! Atlassian, how do we fix this?

Billy Macrae January 10, 2023

Hi, I can report that we are also experiencing the same issue.

If we could get a fix for this ASAP this would be super helpful. We have a workaround but long term this really needs to be fixed or we may need to look for an alternative.

Thanks,

Billy Macrae

Like # people like this
Pierre Lonchampt January 11, 2023

Same here, bug is both on Confluence and Jira :(

2023-01-12_17-40.png2023-01-12_17-40_1.png

Like Erica Vorsay likes this
Erica Vorsay August 6, 2023

Hi Pierre - for Jira, if you are using customer portals, you can see the images there. Not much help if you are in Software projects mode
Cheers,

Petro Nouel February 7, 2023

Startet to happen on  Feb 2023 for not apparent reason.

Note: those are in tables inside Jira ticket comments

Screenshot_6.png

Vieri Lusen February 22, 2023

No Update ?

Aäron Claerhout March 7, 2023

?? Same here

Albert van Biljon March 8, 2023

We're having a similar issue. Our Service Desk team is complaining about this the most because the cannot see the preview. However, if me (Jira Software user as well) looks at their ticket, the image preview shows up fine.

MS March 17, 2023

We're having this issue in Confluence Cloud with Preview unavailable displaying for images attached to pages that are included in a page.  The image on the original page displays okay, but when loading the page with the include, the image disappears. Reattaching the images does not help.

Daniel Ferreira March 17, 2023

Same here. Images in included pages show blank with the "Preview unavailable" message.

This has been reported months ago. Has anything been done about it?

I'm new to this forum. Does the Atlassian team read this, or should we post this elsewhere?

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2023

Hi, Atlassian PM here. Yes I monitor these forums. There are multiple issues in this thread, but to focus on yours @Daniel Ferreira 

Just to confirm this is happening when using an include page macro?

Daniel Ferreira March 23, 2023

Yes.

It doesn't happen always.

Perhaps it happens more when I try to view a page with an include page macro which contains another page that itself also has an include page macro (ie. nested transclusion). But I'm not sure.

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2023

Thanks, I'll flag this with the Confluence team

Like Bryan Chase likes this
Tesha Vogt June 14, 2023

@Owen Wallis You stated in your first reply that there are multiple issues in this thread. I'm fairly confident that all of the issues in this thread are the same as they relate to images that were once viewable are now showing preview unavailable. Were the Confluence or Jira teams able to duplicate this issue many of us are facing? Have there been any fixes or updates that you're aware of? Any info helps. Many of us (myself included) are at a loss as to what we are supposed to tell the people we support as to when or how this will be resolved. As always, the Atlassian Team updates are always appreciated. 

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
June 21, 2023

Hi @Tesha Vogt

I mention multiple issues as there are many potential source factors. So its tricky to diagnose what could be the root cause over a forum (sorry!)

Best bet would be to contact Atlassian support and they can put you in touch with the Media Experiences team. The devs there can then (with your permission) take a closer look at what might be causing the issues.

I'm actually leaving the Media team this week, but hopefully you (and other folks watching this thread) can get help by going the support route.

Chris Cotton June 22, 2023

@Owen Wallis I know I'm not who you were replying to but I did exactly this. I was pointed to a bug that didn't mention Confluence, was given short replies and then told to re-upload my images to see if that worked. The amount of articles we need to fix images on is going to be time consuming. When I relayed that back to the support team, I was told, "Just upload the image and let me know if it stays." Of course it does and I was then told, "Glad to hear that! This confirms that the issue is indeed related to this bug." 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-81303 

It's a closed issue. 

Support isn't really helping. 

dhames August 3, 2023

The ticket is closed, but the issue is not fixed. We have teams with over 5,000 images, and they all have the "Preview Unavailable" Can this issue be reopened? We still need a fix. We are in the Cloud. Thanks.

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
August 13, 2023

@Chris Cotton @dhames I've moved on to a different team, but I've let the media team know this looks like its still an issue

marianne_gorczyca March 21, 2023

We are having the same issue - the images for a ticket we are working with suddenly show 'preview unavailable'. A solution would be much appreciated!

MS March 23, 2023

<<Comment removed as issue appears to have been fixed>>

MS March 23, 2023

<<Comment removed as issue appears to have been fixed>>

MS March 23, 2023

Anyway, it appears to be working again now :-).

Daniel Rieder adesso March 23, 2023

Same for us, wannt to match the Priority (by automation rule) in dependency of the receiving prio image of another system

Bryan Chase April 3, 2023

What is the fix? Me and some coworkers (not all) are also having this issue.

Tabareh, Adel April 4, 2023

I had the same issue and that was due to a plugin that I had on my browser. If you are developer and use plugin to manipulate request headers etc. deactivate that. You can try with a browser that does not have any plugin if you want to check if the problem is from server or client.

Ralf Brinkmann April 6, 2023

I am facing the same problem, on my mac with safari, on a windows PC with win 11 (edge and chrome,) on an iPad with safari.
This seems to be a general confluence issue. Why is the support so unbelievable slow?  

Akira Togawa May 17, 2023

Hello all! I noticed the same when I copy from a website or other place. 

I have found that copying the image from the source and pasting into MS Paint, then copying from MS Paint into Jira/Confluence fixes the issue. 

Hope it works for you!

Jan Z May 22, 2023

Same issue here for me and another colleague in my time. It randomly started today for no apparent reason. Instead of an image on a page you see a placeholder "Preview unavailable" and when you click it: "Something went wrong. We couldn't generate a preview for this file."

Chris Cotton June 20, 2023

Was there ever a solution for this issue? We are experiencing the same thing from pages we have had anywhere from a year ago to just a few months ago that worked fine up until seemingly now.

Gor Kroyan July 11, 2023

+1 to the issue where media files can not be displayed. A bit frustrating because my stories became very boring without media support. If you do not fix this next week, i will start drinking cola and eat Snickers and ruin my help because of the stress. 🤞

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events