Update #2 on the community kudos beta

Thank you so much for trying out Community Kudos! We’ve made some changes and have some more in the pipeline, so figured it was a good time for an update. As a reminder, our program overview is here. Our update #1 is here

I'll start with some known issues:

• You cannot see why someone gave you kudos. We are working on a profile update that will address this, see below for more.
  • Articles published in groups do not count as articles towards some badges. We're working on an update here.
  • Lots to Like is inconsistent. Likes only count on parent posts, not comments.
  • Not all badges have links. We want to make sure we have links where possible. There was a bug preventing us from updating this. The bug has been fixed, we just need to go in and update it!
  • Harvest confusion. The recognition module gets very confused when someone breaks through the top level, causing various errors.  At one point it looked like people were no longer accruing points. We've released a special commemorative badge you earn at Level 11, and are working to fix the UI.
  • Searching for people is clunky and cannot handle spaces or special characters. As a workaround for now, enter the last name and scroll. 

We've also fixed a bunch of things that it's hard to keep track of, including this weird experience, this typo, and more.  Anything still look off? Let us know in the comments.

Coming soon: 

We're building a dedicated tab on the profile for kudos. 🎉 This will solve a few problems that we are very excited about solving! The big ones:

You can give kudos directly on the profile. This will avoid the currently clunky search experience, and also encourage folks to check out each other's profiles!

You can see why you got kudos. Here is where you can find a feed of who gave you kudos and why. On the profiles of others, you can see what they have been appreciated for!  And the design even includes an aggregate count of how many kudos you've gotten in each category. 

You can see a list of all your completed challenges:  This will include how you earned them and be similar to our current trophy case on the "Badges" tab. 

And because y'all are special, I will show you @Erika Nunotani design in progress!  

The top of the page:

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 10.05.05 AM.png

And the bottom of the page:

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 10.05.16 AM.png

This is still a work in progress and will not ship for 3-4 weeks. But we're excited! 

Questions about anything? Drop them in the comments. Ideas for new challenges? There's a post for that. Any other feedback? Let's hear it. And thanks once again for participating in our kudos beta program!

7 comments

Comment

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2021

Hi @Monique vdB you have pretty much covered everything that's doing rounds. May I know how these levels are different from the already existing Levels (1-8) badges? 

Like # people like this
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2021

This all sounds super exciting @Monique vdB, I've been thoroughly enjoying being part of the Kudos beta 😃

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 6, 2021

@G subramanyam great question! the existing Level badges are not very flexible because we have to tie it to specific actions. For example, you have to write articles to earn them.  Look at someone like @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- who has answered 1 zillion questions but I think hasn't made it to Level 10, and you can see the issue with the level badges.

The Kudos program allows us to make the levels a lot more flexible. You can earn points in lots of different ways and are not limited to specific actions.  So down the road if we combine the programs, we would likely make the levels a lot harder than they are in Kudos, but a lot more flexible than they are in our current system.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2021

I've assumed I'm not level 10 because I'm not an all-rounder like the level 10ers are - I don't run ACEs, I don't write many articles and I don't start many discussions.  I think those high level badges need significant contributions across the board, not just two or three areas (answering stuff online, being a partner, and attending as many Atlassian get-togethers as I can)

Like # people like this
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2021

For some weird reason, my kudos point is stuck at 60 and doesn't increase. I recently did a change of email account. Everything works well except the kudos part.

Like Alexander Pappert likes this
Jay May 31, 2021

I have been playing pretty heavily the last few days,

• I am struggling to send kudos to people, it does not matter if I type or paste in their name it just says 'No results found' and I have to backspace until I find 1 or 2 matches totally unrelated
  • The watch a Jira basics video badge does not seem to trigger no matter how many videos I watch
  • I answered a question and did not earn the badge, it still said 0 questions answered.  I then asked a question and it bumped through both the ask a question and answer a question badges and kudos points
  • Passing the Community FAQ Quiz badge would be handy if it linked to the Community FAQ as searching for the same title found me nothing that looked like a Quiz

Ultimately though I am honestly liking the gamification and the drive inside myself to participate and give back to the community to see my little number grow.

Jacob Young
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2021

Hey Jay!

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the program. Seems you're having problems with the following things:

• Kudos giving: stay tuned, exciting new way to recognize others on Community coming wink
  • Jira Basics Videos: our team will investigate... but just in case ensure that you watch videos to the point that the video ends just in case and that the video is in a Jira collection
  • Latency: Actions can take a little time to be received on our end, if that continues to be a problem, let us know!
  • Quiz Badge: Check out the welcome center for this Easter egg!

Glad to see you're having fun!

Like Monique vdB likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events