Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you to the Community Cupids! 💞

Thank you to everyone who participated in this year’s Community Cupid challenge on Valentine's Day! 💘

All of you made it a huge success, and here are some numbers to prove it: 

Community Cupid badges earned: 3,154
Community Leaders who earned bonus rewards: 40
Super Cupids who earned the badge 100+ times: 15

Our ‘Super Cupids’ this year are… :drum:

Honored to see not just our amazing Community Leaders on this list, but some future Community Leaders as well :star_struck:

On another note, prizes! :trophy:

This year our Super Cupids had the option of choosing to plant 100 trees :deciduous_tree: or remove 100 pounds of plastic waste from the ocean :ocean: ! Thanks to our cupids, we are sending 100 trees to Brazil, Ethiopia, Honduras, Kenya, Madagascar, Mozambique, Nepal, and the Philippines for a total of 800 trees planted and removing 700 points of plastic waste from the ocean!

Our donations of trees are completed through the Eden Reforestation Project, and our donations to remove ocean plastic are completed through The Ocean Cleanup. You can find the total tally of trees we’ve planted and waste we’ve removed from the ocean thanks to this incredible community here.

I hope you all had as much fun spreading love around the community (and doing good for the planet!) as I did, and stay tuned for more Kudos to come! 💖

10 comments

Comment

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2024

I was not sure which reward to pick...

So @PJ Zaiac and I had a discussion and I used ChatGPT to help me figure it out. Here is the prompt and response for all of those that had the same dilemma.

PROMPT:

Which has a greater environmental impact - removing 100 lbs of plastic from the ocean or planting 100 trees?

ANSWER: 

Determining the greater environmental impact between removing 100 pounds of plastic from the ocean and planting 100 trees involves considering various factors.

Removing 100 pounds of plastic from the ocean:

1. Direct Impact: Removing plastic from the ocean directly mitigates harm to marine life, reduces pollution, and prevents the further breakdown of plastics into microplastics, which can be harmful to marine ecosystems.

2. Indirect Impact: By removing plastic waste from the ocean, it helps to improve water quality, protect marine habitats, and reduce the risk of entanglement for marine animals.

Planting 100 trees:

1. Carbon Sequestration: Trees absorb carbon dioxide during photosynthesis, helping to mitigate climate change by reducing the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

2. Ecosystem Services: Trees provide various ecosystem services, including oxygen production, habitat for wildlife, soil stabilization, and water filtration.

Comparing the two:

• Removing plastic from the ocean directly addresses a pressing issue of marine pollution and its immediate impacts on marine ecosystems.
  • Planting trees contributes to long-term environmental benefits by sequestering carbon and providing various ecosystem services, but it may take years for the trees to grow and reach their full potential in terms of carbon sequestration and ecosystem services.

Both actions have significant environmental benefits, but the greater impact may depend on the specific context and the urgency of addressing the issues. If the immediate concern is mitigating marine pollution and its impacts, removing plastic from the ocean may have a more immediate and direct effect. However, if the focus is on long-term climate change mitigation and ecosystem restoration, planting trees may have a greater overall impact over time.

HOW I CHOSE:

Playing the long game here - 100 trees please! 🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳💙

Like # people like this
PJ Zaiac
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 16, 2024

Love the transparency on your choice and helpful eco-friendly info @Andy Gladstone! Figuring out the best avenues to help the planet is SUCH a great use case for GPT answers 🤩 Thanks again for being a Super Cupid and everything else you do!!!

Like # people like this
Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2024

Such an amazing way to give back WHILE building the community! 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2024

Congrats to all the Super Cupids!!

Like # people like this
Abhilekh Verma February 17, 2024

Thanks a lot @PJ Zaiac I have been always up for challenges, and this was amazing one to deliver. Planting 100 trees is an achievement for me virtually thanks to Atlassian Team.

I had already applied for Community Leader or Co Leader Role for my city, Hyderabad, India and looking forward to attending my first physical event on Feb 27!

Hope to become the leader soon for Atlassian. Been running a lot of community events already for Microsoft.

Anyone who wants to connect, happy to network: Abhilekh Verma | LinkedIn

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2024

This was a great initiative and I loved being able to participate in it.  Great job everyone and thank you!

Like # people like this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2024

Nice! Cheers to everyone who participated! 🌳🐟

Like # people like this
Sarah Brown
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 20, 2024

What an amazing achievement! Congratulations to this inspiring group. And a special shout-out to my talented ServiceRocket colleague @Adriana Valentina Hernández Moreno

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2024

This was a ton of fun and thanks for the great challenge @PJ Zaiac! I love these types of challenges and I loved the choice between planting trees or removing plastic from the ocean! Due to the amount of trash I see floating up on the Hawaii beaches over the past few years, I chose removing plastic from the ocean! 

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2024

Missed it by that much, Agent 99....

My memes suck - Imgflip

Like PJ Zaiac likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events