Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on sending Microsoft Teams messages with Atlassian Automation

Update 26 August, 2024

We’ve just shipped an update to the ‘Send Microsoft Teams message’ action in Automation. The action now uses Workflows in Microsoft Teams to send messages from your automation rules.

To update your rules, follow these steps:

1. Go to your channel in Teams and select …› Workflows > Post to a channel when a webhook request is received
  2. Paste the webhook URL into the ‘Send Microsoft Teams message’ action
  3. Select Update.

We recommend you do this by December 31, 2024, to avoid any interruption to your automation rules.

Hey Atlassian Community,

We wanted to make a quick announcement regarding the deprecation of the Office 365 Connector used in the Send Microsoft Teams message action in Atlassian Automation, and what it means for your workflows.

What is happening?

Microsoft recently announced they’re retiring the Office 365 connector - you can read more at their blog, Retirement of Office 365 connectors within Microsoft Teams.

The Send Microsoft Teams message action in Automation uses this connector.

How does this impact me?

From August 15, 2024; the Send Microsoft Teams message action can no longer be used in rule creation or updating. This means that:

• When creating new rules, you won’t be able to use the action.

• When updating rules, you won’t be able to add the action and configure it.

From December 2024, the Send Microsoft Teams message action will stop working. Rules using the Send Microsoft Teams message action will continue to run, but the action itself will no longer work.

What happens next?

• We will be releasing an update to the Send Microsoft Teams action within the next few weeks - we’ll update via community post

• Once this update to the MS Teams action is released, you’ll be able to update your automation rules to use the new webhooks, to make sure they continue running after the December cut off

Stay updated. We’ll update this Community page, and the JAC ticket with timelines for this release, and instructions on how to update your automations.

FAQs

Why can’t you automatically update my rules to use the new component?
The current component uses Office 365 Connector webhooks, which are being deprecated. To use the updated component, you'll need to change the existing webhook to use a new webhook.

When will I get this new action?
We’re working through timelines, We’ll make sure you have time to update automations using MS Teams before the Microsoft deadline.

How do I know which rules are impacted?
Head to the Automation Rule List, and filter by MS Teams action. 

15 comments

David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2024

Hello,

Thanks for the info @Charlie Gavey 

For Jira users using our Golive App with the MS Teams integration, we are also going to release a new option to switch to Teams Workflows in the upcoming Golive App version (today or tomorrow).

Cheers,

David

Paul Madison
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2024

Will this udpate require authentication and/or use of Workflows/Power Automate in Teams?

Ignacio Vera
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 12, 2024

What about Jira Data Center?

Like # people like this
Sriram Mishra August 26, 2024

Hi @Charlie Gavey , I tried the same, but it's not working. Getting the below error msg:

Screenshot 2024-08-26 145501.png

Screenshot 2024-08-26 145602.png

I used the below Jira automation for testing:

Screenshot 2024-08-26 145652.png

Screenshot 2024-08-26 151043.jpg

Did anyone else try? Is it working for you?

Like Marcus Kesper likes this
Tobias Steger
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 26, 2024

@Sriram Mishra I do get the same error message.

Like # people like this
Like # people like this
Sriram Mishra August 26, 2024

Hi @Olexandr Tolochko thanks!

I have already implemented this solution a few days ago, and it works well for methanks to you! However, for every new automation I'll create, or for the many existing ones where I need to send a Teams message, editing the JSON is quite cumbersome. Using the ‘Send MS Teams Message’ component in the automation was much easier and saved time. Each automation sends a unique message tailored to its specific needs.

For example, in one of my automations, the content in the MS Teams Message component looked like:"

Message Title:

<i> <b style="color:red;"> !! Some "Development & Documentation Checklist Items" are unchecked !! </b> </i>

Hi <i> <b style="color:DodgerBlue;"> {{initiator.displayName}} </b> </i>, <br />
<br />
Your transition attempt to <i> <b> "In Testing"</b> </i> failed b'coz some <i> <b style="color:DodgerBlue;"> "Development & Documentation Checklist Items" </b> </i> are unchecked. <br />
<br />
Plz check all the <i> <b style="color:blue;"> "Development & Documentation Checklist Items" </b> </i> before Transitioning to <i> <b> "In Testing" </b> </i>. <br />
<br />
For any clarifications, plz contact your Engg Manager / Scrum Master.

To display a similar message in an Adaptive Card, I use the following message in the Send Web Request component:

{
"type": "message",
"attachments": [
{
"contentType": "application/vnd.microsoft.card.adaptive",
"contentUrl": null,
"content": {
"type": "AdaptiveCard",
"body": [
{
"type": "TextBlock",
"text": "⚠ **Some \"Development & Documentation Checklist Items\" are unchecked**",
"wrap": true,
"weight": "Bolder",
"size": "Large",
"color": "Warning"
},
{
"size": "Medium",
"text": " "
},
{
"type": "RichTextBlock",

"inlines": [
{
"type": "TextRun",
"text": "Hi ",
"weight": "Default",
"size": "Medium"
},
{
"text": "{{initiator.displayName}},",
"italic": true,
"color": "Accent",
}
]
},
{

{
"text": "Your transition attempt to ",
},
{
"text": "\"In Testing\" ",
},
{
"text": "failed b'coz some ",
},
{
"text": "\"Development & Documentation Checklist Items\" ",
},
{
"text": "are unchecked.",
}
]
},
{

{
"text": "Plz check all the ",
},
{
"text": "\"Development & Documentation Checklist Items\" ",
},
{
"text": "before Transitioning to ",
},
{
"text": "\"In Testing\".",
}
]
},
{
"text": " "
},
{
"text": "Issue Key: {{issue.key}}"
},
{

"text": "Summary: {{issue.summary}}"
},

{
"text": "Issue Type: {{issue.issueType.name}}"
},
{
"text": "Status: {{issue.status.name}}"
},
{
"text": "Assignee: {{issue.assignee.displayName}}"
},
{
"type": "ColumnSet",
"columns": [
{
"type": "Column",
"items": [
{
"spacing": "None",
"text": "For any clarifications, plz contact your Engg Manager / Scrum Master",
"isSubtle": true,
"wrap": true
}
],
"width": "stretch"
}
]
}
],
"actions": [
{
"type": "Action.OpenUrl",
"title": "View in Jira",
"url": "{{issue.url}}"
}
],
"$schema": "http://adaptivecards.io/schemas/adaptive-card.json",
"version": "1.4",
"msteams": {
"width": "full"
}
}
}
]
}

As per the update here, I was really hoping the Send MS Teams Message component would handle all the heavy lifting. Now, i'm unsure what this component does after the update.

Like Olexandr Tolochko likes this
Ken Young
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2024

When using Workflows in MS-Teams, it posts the message as the user that set up the Workflow.  Are there recommendations/best practices to change this so it is tied to a service instead of an individual user (which could be an issue with turnover).  Thank you.

Like Sriram Mishra likes this
Sriram Mishra August 27, 2024

Hi @Ken Young , this can be done by creating a workflow using a Service Account instead of your individual account

Sriram Mishra August 30, 2024

Hi Charlie Gavey, any update on this issue?

Sriram Mishra August 30, 2024

Hi @Charlie Gavey , any update on this issue?

Ken Young
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 30, 2024

Also, it would be good to have a solution that doesn't require a higher level of committment for PowerAutomation license to support service accounts (instead of using an individual account).

Like Katrina Meyers likes this
Katrina Meyers September 3, 2024

I worked directly with Microsoft including a two tier escalation and much back and forth and there is NO WAY AROUND BUYING A PREMIUM LICENSE. It's SUPER angering that it used to work for free and we're now being forced to pay for it.

I deleted my existing Power Automate scripts that I was trying to hack my way through and just started from scratch with these instructions and it works perfectly.  THANK YOU for fixing this on the Atlassian side!!

Matt Baillargeon September 25, 2024

Currently trying to implement this and getting the following errors inside of workflows: 

Request to the Bot framework failed with error: '{"error":{"code":"BotNotInConversationRoster","message":"The bot is not part of the conversation roster."}}'.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events