Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Atlassian promoting Shadow IT? Or Accidental IT?

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2024

Why is Atlassian promoting Shadow IT?

So, in their documentation, Atlassian warns about the dangers of Shadow IT and even talks about how Atlassian can be part of this problem:

image1.png"In the context of Atlassian, you’re unable to centrally manage these products from your Atlassian organization. This means that you won’t find them under the Products tab at admin.atlassian.com with the rest of your organization’s products."

So then, surely Atlassian must provide some tools to IT administrators to manage shadow IT? And why yes, yes they do, as described in Discover products your users administer. Oooh, what's this: Manage your users' requests for products? Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 4.12.09 PM.png

Wow, you mean I can choose to prevent MY USERS from creating these problematic "shadow" instances of Atlassian products? That sounds EXACTLY what I need!

Oh, but sad trombone we don't have Enterprise Cloud. 

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 4.14.58 PM.png

How much would Enterprise Cloud cost?

So our smallest instance is a JSM of 300 agents. Enterprise would cost $48,000 more per year. Is this worth the extra hours I spend having to delete instances? Hm....

Oh but wait, reading the screenshot above "update your request settings for each Enterprise product" (emphasis mine). Ok, that'd be $148,000/yr more for Confluence (5000 users) and $236,000/yr more for Jira (6000 users).

Ah well. I guess we should just hire an intern then.

Hrm.... I see this has been discussed before, ad nauseum. Or perhaps just ad nauseating: 

And the OG ticket, closed after 1600+ votes after they "fixed" it, but only if you pay for Enterprise:

• ACCESS-1468 - Allow Administrators to control managed users' associated sites and products

Some highlights:

"Lets call it what this is, hiding the age of the ticket by creating new ones. Now instead of looking almost 4 years old, it's just a recently created issue."

--mattpatenaude comment - 06/Oct/2023 9:28 AM the day Atlassian "resolved" the issue

Not Shadow IT, but Accidental IT 

Here's the thing though. We migrated about to Atlassian Cloud about a month ago - Jira, Confluence, JSM. Users want to use it. (Well, they don't have a choice.)

But users… get confused. In the nearly one month since we migrated, we've had nearly a dozen new instances created by mistake.

How does this keep happening?

Google

Users don't remember that our servers that used to be named jira.COMPANYNAME.com or confluence.COMPANYNAME.com are now COMPANYNAME.atlassian.NET. (.NET? Really? Ahem, CLOUD-6999)

So they Google it. Or type it into their browser bar, which… Googles it.

And they end up here:

image5.png

Big Blue Buttons

And so, they click on Confluence. Which takes them here, with two very big, friendly, blue buttons, and one very tiny "Sign in" link.

image6.png

Now, those of us who are Atlassian Admins know that you're not supposed to hit those blue buttons, but instead click on the very tiny "Sign in" link:

image8.png

But I'm guessing that 11 people at my company did not. Instead they clicked one of the blue buttons, and oh look, it's what kind of looks like a login page. Oh and we just migrated to Confluence Cloud, so perhaps this will give them some kind of tutorial. It does say "Get started with Confluence":

image3.png

Now because me and my team have done the work to connect Atlassian Access Guard to our IdP, Confluence happily recognizes that user's account. They may have even been redirected to our Azure AD page and done their whole SAML login. Very secure! And now they're back.

Go team go!

Huh. "roku-team-...." that sounds right. I work for Roku. I'm on a Team. Let's go hit another friendly blue button.

image4.png

And that… is why I now have an Excel sheet tracking "shadow" Atlassian Cloud sites created by mistake, including emails addresses of the users who mistakenly created them (who have ALL indicated they did this on accident), when I cancelled the sites, and assuming the cancellation actually goes through (which it often DOES NOT), when I have deleted the Organizations that were also set up for each site.

I guess this is a huge win to Atlassian's Sales Team who have designed a very efficient "funnel" to get users to sign up for new Atlassian Cloud sites. (Assuming they only measure sign-ups, and not cancellations by irate Atlassian administrators.) 

7 answers

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Ed Letifov _TechTime - New Zealand_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2024

And the cynical analysis of the problem behind the scenes is no doubt:

"a problem exists between the keyboard and the chair"

I feel you @Darryl Lee especially on the "assuming the cancellation actually goes through" bit.

And then someone will design a technological 3rd party solution faster than proper controls are implemented. And charge money for that too. Maybe this is my💡moment?

2 votes
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2024

@Darryl Lee - thanks for putting this together.

I'm also affected by this system behavior, and it's frustrating.

In terms of luck, so far no one has spawned a Cloud instance out of malice (i.e. trying to work around my team), and it has all been accidental.

I voted up the JAC requests that directly affect my team/company, and also will mention this to my Atlassian rep to know this is a concern for us. 

2 votes
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2024

So, last answer for tonight (or maybe ever, in case the person unhappy with my comment on CLOUD-10325 also decides to delete this question):

OF COURSE Atlassian wants to make it easy to sign-up for their products. It's how they got started.

• Atlassian - 20 years of Atlassian, 20 lessons learned 

Software should be bought, not sold. 

With most of our target market across the Pacific ocean in the U.S., Atlassian could either invest heavily in a traditional sales team or invest in building a self-service purchase experience. Mike and Scott chose the latter, even though it was a bit risky. They woke one morning in 2003 to find an order from American Airlines lying on the fax machine. According to company lore, they looked at each other and said, “Did you talk to them?” “No, did you?” … “Holy shit! American Airlines saw Jira on our website and bought it just like that!”

• Forbes - Product-Led Growth: The Atlassian Way To $2.8B And Counting 

They began by looking online for tools they needed to complete their work. They realized that it was nearly impossible to get access to the software. You could go to IBM’s website but couldn't download software.

SaaS had yet to develop. Walls existed between the users and solutions. So, they were forced to say, “Let's just get our tools online and make sure people have access to them.”

They posted online and realized they had to have a significant market if they were going to sell products online. They said, “Hey, we have to think globally from Day One.” They started doing some Google search engine stuff early in 2002 to get that distribution.

They believed they should make the software so inexpensive and easy to use that people would download it, try it and buy it.

Within six to 12 months, they got a check in the mail for $10,000 from a major US airline. So, they doubled down.

And it would be fair to say that this was part of the plan for a while though. I mean, back in Dec 2020 Jay Simons laid it all out in this podcast:

To borrow from the analysis at How They Grow - How Atlassian Grows:

Eventually, most companies end up with a blend of these strategies. Like Atlassian today, who has a tiered pricing structure with trials (free, standard, premium, and enterprise). But, on their path to their first 1K customers where they were on a quest to get into as many companies as possible, not just the companies with the most seats — they kept it much simpler.

> [In the early days], we were so focused on reducing the cognitive load on the customer that was coming to us. And if you have four different versions at four different price points, that’s very difficult to help the customer wade through.

> It helped us when we were unknown and young and small because it was just so simple — the KISS principle actually worked in our favor, where you just came to the web and it was like, ‘Oh, Jira’s one price’. I just need to think about the number of users, I don’t need to think about, ‘Does it include this? Does it get SSO and the security stuff or no, that’s in the enterprise package. Is it worth twice as much for that stuff?

> There are all these questions that the customer gets bogged down into thinking about and that’s friction. [Which] can be okay in the right context with the right approach, but in our particular case, we chose not to introduce it. We were just going to make it simple. We're going to go for high velocity volume customer acquisition, and we're going to reserve future opportunity to have those expansion conversations with those customers.

— Jay Simmons, via First Round

Pressing on that last comment of Jay’s there a bit more. To to do that effectively, they used a free trial to bring users in, and then focused on getting them hooked so they’d then set off a domino approach and get others join. And with a low price point, people could easily try and buy Atlassian with a credit card rather than going through the headaches of financing.

As mentioned, they eventually expanded their pricing structure. But by then, as Jay says, “
They’re already hooked. They’re already deeply committed. They love the product, and it’s used by thousands of users. Now they just want some extra security features and if we want to charge them for it, it’s probably easier.

(Boldfacing mine, because welp, it's right there.)

2 votes
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2024

Ooh ooh ooh. I know. Atlassian is leaving this as an opportunity for a third-party vendor to "fill the gap" (classic Atlassian)!

I mean, the Organizations REST API does have endpoints to Get organizations (so you can find out when somebody has created yet ANOTHER company-team-zx82asd site, by I guess checking every day ...)

And it even has a new (Beta!) endpoint for getting workspaces:

A workspace refers to a specific instance of an Atlassian product that is accessed through a unique URL. Whenever a user initiates or adds a new product instance, it results in the creation of a distinct workspace.

This API will:

• Return a paginated list of workspaces in a given org
  • Return more details about an organization's products (including product URL).

Great! So now all we need is an API to:

• Request cancellation of sites that were created accidentally
  • Delete organizations that were created accidentally

Oh, and your app is going to need to wait 14 days for cancellation to occur. *Sigh*. Oh and sometimes even then you can't delete the organization.

Maybe your app can also file a support ticket to ask them to fix that?

What a great opportunity! What marketplace vendor is going to step up to create this awesome tool?

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2024

OMG, I missed @Rob Allan's comment from yesterday:

"If you have the improved billing experience, you have to wait an additional 60 days after the products are deactivated to delete the organization." 

Seriously Atlassian? Is this a joke!?? 

From: https://support.atlassian.com/organization-administration/docs/remove-domains-and-products-from-your-organization/

So yeah, ok, your app will have to wait 60 days.

Like Dave Liao likes this
2 votes
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2024

Welp. This is a pretty depressing answer, found in a recent comment on CLOUD-10325:

I have over 2 years of emails and meetings going back and forth with Atlassian on this issue. I even worked with their Shadow IT team while they were building the solution to block these from being created...

However, to date, it's only a feature for customers on their Enterprise plans.

I have confirmation provided to me today, Friday June 21st 2024, that Atlassian has no plans to extend the feature to non - Enterprise customers.

Here is their email:

I truly appreciate your patience as we delved deeper into this matter internally. I reached out to [*Name removed because I care about privacy and data security; unlike Atlassian*], the Shadow IT product manager you previously engaged with, and he has confirmed that, unfortunately, we will not be including the shadow IT controls that enable you to block product creation, specifically "Product Requests," in any edition other than enterprise at this time. It's important to recognize that this challenge is not unique to our tool but rather a common occurrence in the software industry, reflecting the growth mindset that all SaaS providers strive to foster.

Hum. That sucks.

2 votes
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2024

So not an answer, but even worse news:

Another Community Leader tells me that even with Enterprise, he's still seeing rogue sites show up, and he suspects it's because Atlassian's "Product Requests" feature doesn't cover/block requests from folks on their mobile devices.

That is... not great, considering that for many users (ahem, YOUNGSTERS), they spend more time on their phones than in front of computers.

As previously mentioned, we're not on Enterprise, but I just checked, and the path to accidentally creating a site via mobile is MUCH MUCH easier. Oof:

IMG_8658.PNGIMG_8659.PNG

So then, play in 1 act:

Customers: Hey, can you stop letting our managed users create new sites?
Atlassian: Sure, give us that Enterpri$e Money$
Customers: Grrr, ok here.
Atlassian: Haha, did you think it would also prevent mobile users from creating new sites? $ucker! For that feature you'll need to pony up for Enterpri$e Plu$!
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2024

To be clear, my example above is if you have previously logged in on your phone to your company's Atlassian site (which I assume my users must've done once before), but shows up even if you have logged out.

If you not ever logged in (or clear all Atlassian cookies from your browser, which, can you even do that on a phone?), you will see this screen:

IMG_8711.PNG

(Screenshot from an Incognito session)

From there typing your email (if your company has claimed your domain) and clicking "Sign up" will take you to your company's SSO. OR, since we are on Azure, some users will click [Microsoft].

In any case, once authenticated, users will end up on the "Welcome back" page. Actually trying from Incognito just now, I'm seeing this page is even more streamlined:

IMG_8712.PNG

It's kind of a bummer that if they're Welcoming me back, they're not showing me https://start.atlassian.com/ (which I guess now is https://team.atlassian.com/)

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
2 votes
Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2024

Shadow or accidental, when it comes to consequences, it doesn't really matter.

This was posted on a Community forum yesterday.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/advice-after-anonymous-access-allowed-rampant-page-and-draft/qaq-p/2731249#M316076 

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2024

Oh man, that is awful. I really hope he has backups from Aurora.

Like Dave Liao likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events