Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A change in teams visibility

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2023

Hi Community friends,

In the next few months, we will be making changes that may affect the visibility of teams for a very small number of users. It's important to note that most teams will not be affected. Also with this change, we are making teams no longer accessible on open sites.

A small number of users may lose access to certain teams. To resolve these issues, we recommend the following:

• If you no longer can find your team, try re-creating it.

• If re-creating your team is not an option, leave a comment on this post and we will help resolve your issue.

Cheers,

Atlassian Teams

20 comments

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2023

Hi @Yerbol Nisanbayev 

Thank you for informing the community here. I'm sorry for saying that, but isn't this kind of messing with people's data and possibly their daily workflow, no? If they have mentions on comments what happens then? The individual mentions will stay as is, and the team will not be hyperlinked anymore?

Like # people like this
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2023

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ thank you for following up. For most people this will not change anything, mentions and comments will work as before. For a very small minority, we will need to update their team parameters to fix things. 

Like # people like this
Josh Barron February 3, 2023

Will this change improve visibility of teams to the point where i can go to Jira and apply a JQL that includes a clause like this?

assignee in membersOf("Team Name")

I can't figure out how to use the People Directory in one of the places that I need it the most ... Jira!

Please help.

Like # people like this
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2023

Hey @Josh Barron ,

this change will not add any JQL functionality related to teams. On another note, we are now shipping an improvement to people directory which will allow you to see whether people are a member of a certain team which may help you do what you are trying to do but not through JQL. This change should reach you in the coming week.

image__1_.png

Like # people like this
fahad.abbasi February 6, 2023

HI team, is it possible to assign a sprint or an issue to a team in Jira?

Like # people like this
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
February 8, 2023

Hey @fahad.abbasi ,

Thank you for the awesome question. It is not possible today. But later this year we will add Team custom field to Jira, so you will be able to assign issues to Teams very soon.

Like # people like this
fahad.abbasi February 8, 2023

Thank you for replying @Yerbol Nisanbayev .  Looking forward to that day.  Cheers.

Like # people like this
Liliana Varga
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 9, 2023

Hi @Yerbol Nisanbayev , following on from the above conversation, will it be possible to assign a ticket to a Team in JIRA Service Management in the future? If so, is there a timeline for this? Thanks!

Like # people like this
Rhys Christian
Atlassian Team
February 16, 2023

Hey, 

Just FYI on the topic of assigning Teams and for any readers on JSW Premium.

For Jira Software Premium customers it is currently possible to achieve this functionality using the Advanced Roadmaps Shared Teams - which is currently a separate Team concept from the one mentioned here.

However, in the coming months we'll be unifying team concepts and migrating Advanced Roadmaps Shared Teams into Atlassian Team.

You can read more about these changes here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Advanced-Roadmaps-articles/Teams-in-Advanced-Roadmaps-What-s-changing-and-what-you-need-to/ba-p/2259096

Like # people like this
Ian Whitecavage
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 22, 2023

Is there any functionality to completely restrict who can create a team, as an site-admin in a very closed system we want to be able to limit who can create a team.

Like # people like this
Konstantin Markov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 8, 2024

@Yerbol Nisanbayev I want to resurface the above question from Ian, is there a way we can restrict Team creation to only certain Groups that have proper permissions?

Allowing unfettered access to this functionality can potentially result in an increased number of redundant Teams, which could, in turn, lead to data integrity issues within our Jira environment.

Thanks.

Like Alexa likes this
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
January 9, 2024

@Konstantin Markov and @Ian Whitecavage

Thank you for sharing you feedback. We don't have that functionality available now, but it's a popular feature request that we are tracking here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75734 

We are planning to work on this feature in the future, please vote on and watch that ticket to help us prioritise it.

Konstantin Markov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 9, 2024

Thank you, for your prompt reply @Yerbol Nisanbayev !

Gerald Bihr
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 7, 2023

Open teams only?

Is there a way to create "by-invite" only teams? Currently, anybody can join any existing team. In large organizations, team owners need to have some control as to who joins a team

How are you planning to support this?

Like # people like this
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
February 8, 2023

Hi @Gerald Bihr ,

That's a great question. Yes, today all teams are open. We are currently working on expanding the flexibility of teams. Later this year we plan to add invite-only teams and more controls for team membership. 

Like # people like this
Sarah Lambrechtsen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 13, 2023

Is there an estimated launch data for this invite only feature?

Like Dave likes this
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
April 20, 2023

Hi @Sarah Lambrechtsen 

I am afraid not yet.

Like Dave likes this
Pablo Marín Asensio April 24, 2023

Is there anywhere we can track this feature? Like a public roadmap?

Like # people like this
Phil M May 8, 2023

Will it be possible to convert a public team to an invite only team and vice versa?  We have some teams we would want to lock down and would like to not have to re-create teams to do that.  

Like Dave likes this
Pablo Marín Asensio September 27, 2023

For those curious, this is now an In Progress change. You can track it here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75130

Wojciech Wardaszko _HeroCoders_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2023

Hi, thanks for sharing this. Do the visibility changes encompass or anyhow affect the development of API access to team information per user or a list of users by team ID? We really want a team-related endpoint...

Like Ramesh Gundu Rao likes this
Renat Sabitov
Atlassian Team
February 14, 2023

Hi @Wojciech Wardaszko _HeroCoders_ ,

We're currently working on an initial version of public REST Team API which will be available later this year.

If it helps you at the moment we have an API in Beta state that you can experiment with. https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/teams/teams-graphql-api/using-team-query/

Like # people like this
Kritika
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 13, 2023

Hi, 

I can no longer able to see the the list of tickets worked on in last 90 days.

Not even for me or for other people in my team

worked on tickets not visible.pngPlease help me out. Its quite urgent.

Like Danny Barlow likes this
Serene Zhuang
Atlassian Team
February 14, 2023

Hi @Kritika,

This is an issue we are aware of. We are in the middle of fixing it.

In the meantime, if you append "/work" to the URLon your user profile page, I believe you would be able to see your recent activities. 

We will let you know when the fix is released.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Serene

Like # people like this
Kritika
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 15, 2023

Thanks @Serene Zhuang for the workaround suggested for this issue.

This is very helpful.

Serene Zhuang
Atlassian Team
March 8, 2023

Hi @Kritika, I hope you're having a lovely day. The issue you reported above has been fixed.

ilia kassianenko February 15, 2023

Hi,

Can you please confirm if there will be any conflict is use/configuration between Teams (People) vs Team (Advanced Roadmap Planner in Jira premium) ?

ilia

Renat Sabitov
Atlassian Team
February 15, 2023

Hi @ilia kassianenko 

This is a very good question, thanks for asking!

The project to bring Atlassian Team field in Jira will also remove confusion between Advanced Roadmap teams and Atlassian Teams. Essentially, Atlassian teams will replace Advance roadmap "shared" teams and will be available across other products in the organisation. For example, you will be able to mention a team created in Advanced Roadmaps on a Confluence page.

This functionality is already working on a small subset of Jira Premium customers, and will be available later this year to everyone.

Like # people like this
Rhys Christian
Atlassian Team
February 16, 2023

Hey @ilia kassianenko

You can read-up on the changes that are coming to Advanced Roadmaps teams as part of this Teams unification work here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Advanced-Roadmaps-articles/Teams-in-Advanced-Roadmaps-What-s-changing-and-what-you-need-to/ba-p/2259096

As Renat mentioned this is currently only affecting a small number of customers participating our Early rollout. As we get closer to when this unification launches more broadly, there'll be additional notice provided in-product for Advanced Roadmaps users.

Like # people like this
Gregory Kremer March 15, 2023

@Rhys Christian I have asked the questions below in other discussions, but didn't get answers. So, here I come again:

1. Will we be able to control who can create a Team in the new setup?

2. We have a large number of reports, based on Team field. Currently, as everyone knows, we have to use team number in order to extract relevant data. Will team numbers be still available and will remain the same in the new setup? This is crucial for us to know, as all the reports would need to be re-written in case team numbers are changed or completely gone.

I will greatly appreciate your prompt reply.

Like MHamilton likes this
KARABO MASANA MOTHAPO
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 19, 2023

Thank you for the hard work.

Like # people like this
Joseph Farrar February 22, 2023

Hello, I created 7 teams but didn't include myself thinking I could still see and manage them. Any way I can view the teams and add myself so they display for me? I'm an admin so I find this somewhat odd that I can see the teams I just created because I'm not in them.

Renat Sabitov
Atlassian Team
February 22, 2023

You should be able to see all teams in "People-> Search People and Teams" menu. Look out for "Browse all teams"  and click it.

Like ilia kassianenko likes this
Joseph Farrar February 22, 2023

Thanks @Renat Sabitov it's been about 6 hours now and I just checked again and I can see 6 of the 7 teams. Maybe there is some kind of delay for visibility.

Renat Sabitov
Atlassian Team
February 23, 2023

Hi @Joseph Farrar ,

Delay in team visibility is highly unlikely. 

Simon Pfundstein
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 23, 2023

Hi. I'd like to restrict access to a page. Sadly, it wont find the newly created group. Maybe this is a BUG? Maybe it has something to do with this 'visibility' change? I see no option to change this and make it work for me.

image.png

Renat Sabitov
Atlassian Team
February 23, 2023

Hi @Simon Pfundstein ,

Teams and groups are two separate entities. At the moment Atlassian Teams can not be used for managing permissions.

Like Aaron Geister likes this
Nena Kruljac February 27, 2023

Is there any summary what features will be added and roughly when (example: Q2, Q3 in this year, next....)?
Users noticed this feature and start exploring and asking :-)

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
February 27, 2023

Hey @Nena Kruljac , thank you for asking. We are working on a few things right now. The timing is a bit flexible because we are releasing things gradually. Here is another Teams related feature that will be rolling out later this year:  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-discussions/Atlassian-teams-are-coming-to-Jira/td-p/2282350

Like Nena Kruljac likes this
Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2023

I know all of this has to do with the Teams updates for global team control. This also has to do with combination of teams in Advance Roadmaps and teams combination. 

My question is do you have an ETA of this rollout and will all features come at the same time or is this roll out going to be staggered with a few features at a time?

Should we expect anything soon? I am only wondering so I can stay on top of this and help implement this new format with my org. 

Like Anthony Cast likes this
Renat Sabitov
Atlassian Team
March 1, 2023

Hi @Aaron Geister,

Thank you for your question!

At the moment about 75% of all customers have new team visibility changes in effect. While we want every customer to be in the end state as fast as possible, we balance that with monitoring to make sure the change doesn't cause problems.

As was said previously, Team field in Jira and Teams unification with Advanced Roadmaps is coming later this year. It is a complex change that we are keen to deliver as soon and as smooth as possible.

You can read more about upcoming changes here https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Advanced-Roadmaps-articles/Teams-in-Advanced-Roadmaps-What-s-changing-and-what-you-need-to/ba-p/2259096

Like # people like this
Renat Sabitov
Atlassian Team
March 2, 2023

An update on the progress of this change.

By now all customers should have experienced an extension of the Atlassian Teams visibility scope to all sites in their organisation.

In most cases, only users of open products (i.e. open to join by anyone on the internet) have lost access to Teams. This is intentional because otherwise, teams in your organisation would be open to anyone on the internet after they joined the product.

If you have open products, please make sure that they are intentionally open. You can use this document to understand user access settings and double-check how users get access to products in your organisation.

Like Aaron Geister likes this
Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2023

Do you know if Teams will be able to be used in future to connect to groups for access to product and or to projects etc? I know in my initial interviews with the team these were things that were brought up and thought it would be amazing way to use a "locked team" and use it as like a IDP group or connect to a IDP group.
Is there a roadmap about what next with the team field updates and teams?

Btw thanks for all the good work I really like how far the teams as come and with global use of Teams.

Ragavan Ramamoorthy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 8, 2023

Thanks for update. I just created a team with group of people in our proj and created some report page by using jira report. excited to utilize the new features. 

Like Yerbol Nisanbayev likes this
Md Fahad
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 9, 2023

right is this

Mario Coluzzi March 13, 2023

I did notice the Group from the Admin panel and the Group URL differ. A bizarre behaviour.

Anyone knows why?

group.png

Like Renat Sabitov likes this
Renat Sabitov
Atlassian Team
March 13, 2023

Hi @Mario Coluzzi ,

My understanding you have a group named "Security" and a team named "Security". Groups and teams are not synchronised, i.e. they are two different entities.

Hope it helps

Mario Coluzzi March 15, 2023

Hi @Renat Sabitov 

I see  . . . I got it now . . . very confusing and I don't understand the "Team purpose" rather than to be misleading and pointless in Jira. Hence why I never seen it or use it in years

Thanks

M

Ed
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 14, 2023

I lost access for a while to a team I created, but it seems to be back now. However, I no longer see to be able to "@ mention" the team in the comment to an issue. I am sure I was able to do that before.

Has something changed?

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
March 21, 2023

Hi @Ed , thanks for letting us know. Has this issue been now resolved or are you still facing it?

Ed
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 2, 2023

Actually, I am now back to not being able to access the team at all. The message is now "You don’t have access to view teams in this organization.". This was a team that I created.

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
April 12, 2023

Hey @Ed it is possible that the team may have been created in a different organisation from where you belong to. Can you try creating a team with the same name again and use that new team instead.

YARON LEVY March 15, 2023

Hi, when in the Teams module, and looking at Team Activity, many issues are missing.

For example, I've created a team including only me, and the list is empty.

It should have contained hundreds of tasks created, edited or commented on in the last 90 days

Am I missing something?

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
March 15, 2023

Hi  @YARON LEVY  thank you for trying out Teams!

In our current logic one needs to have at least 2 active team members for the Team activity to work. Hope this helps.

YARON LEVY March 16, 2023

Thank you Yerbol for you quick response,

Can you please outline the advantages of using this feature, apart from quick group tagging in comments?
Why do I need that at the moment rather than using the "traditional" user groups, with which I can filter issues by and use it on any permission/security module?

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
March 21, 2023

Sure, teams are for your users to self organise around the work that they are doing. Traditional groups are only available to admins, whereas anyone can create teams at any time. 

Teams today can be used to @mention a group of users in our products and notify them. We also provide a team profile for users to interact and share information. 

It is up to you what construct is best suited for your particular goals. 

Raj Kolandasamy March 16, 2023

I have created a new team <My Team Name>, but the team is not visible to the issues that I create in <My Project> project. Can some one help?

Raj Kolandasamy March 16, 2023

When attempting to search my newly created team I am seeing the below text

Plan-Specific teams can only be selected through a plan

Not sure what this 👆means!

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
March 19, 2023

Hey @Raj Kolandasamy 

It sounds like you created a team in Plans/Advanced roadmaps. These teams are specific to plans - you can read more about them here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/manage-teams-in-your-advanced-roadmaps-plan/ 

Raj Kolandasamy March 21, 2023

I did not create a team in plans. I created a team in the "People" menu of the project board. That team is not visible in the issues under the same project that those people belong to... That was my question.

benjamin.thumas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 23, 2023

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue as Raj (and I also created my team via the 'people' menu).
It's quite blocking since the team field is what we use to distinguish the tickets of our project from other ones. 

Is there a workaround? 

Thanks

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
March 23, 2023

Thank you for clarifying this @Raj Kolandasamy  and @benjamin.thumas, today the teams that you create in the People menu are not accessible in issues.

We are working on a way for users to be able to have the team field available in issues, read more about that here https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-discussions/Atlassian-teams-are-coming-to-Jira-Software/m-p/2282350#M19308 

Maor Levinas April 17, 2023

Hi @Yerbol Nisanbayev ,

I have the same experience, Teams created via the 'people' menu are not listed.

I understand there is work in progress to fix that but what is the ETA?

Kind regards,
Maor

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
April 17, 2023

Hi @Maor Levinas , that's right. The field will be rolling out to our customers throughout this year. 

Dave March 30, 2023

Awesome - I hope this works for the ticket we have with Teams.

were we can see teams that are not part of my instance and not created by users in my instaance.

Can you please let me know when this is rolled out to JSM 

Many thanks

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
April 4, 2023

Hi @Davehe changes to team visibility are rolled out now, the Team filed in Jira will be rolling out later this year

Like Dave likes this
pat.kelly
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 25, 2023

How can I make our team private, without anyone being able to add to the team?

Like Dave likes this
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
April 26, 2023

Hi @pat_kelly ,

Great question and welcome to the Atlassian community! I am afraid you will not be able to do that right now as Teams are open to everyone.

We do have an open request to implement the feature you are after, can you please start watching it and vote on it!

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75130

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events