Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Separting an Organization

Is there a guideline for "separating the Atlassian "Organizations"?  For a variety of reasons we need to separate part of an existing Organization due to the constraints/complexity of implementing SSO "Atlassian Access".  Once separated, the new Organization will implement SSO. The current organization has not implemented SSO. 

Considerations so far:

• Register/Verify new Jira Cloud instance
  • Register/Verify new Confluence Cloud instance
  • May require transfer of products
  • Change of User's profile email address to new domain (tricky?)
  • import XML backup file. Is it possible to edit the XML backup file in order to reflect changes to user accounts prior to importing to the new instance.

etc...

1 answer

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon Community Leader Dec 28, 2019

Hi @michael_small,

Welcome to the Community!

You have nailed a number of the things that need to be considered on the head.  I have transferred a Jira Cloud instance from one organization to another and that part isn't very hard provided you are the Org Admin in both organizations.

I have seen other posted on the community about editing the XML Backup to modify various attributes before running an import, however I haven't personally done this so I can't speak to it's success. (Ref: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Jira-import-is-saying-You-must-enter-the-location-of-an-XML-file/qaq-p/926466)

As for splitting domains, I have never been a part of this type of activity, but I imagine this will be the most difficult task.  But it can be accomplished as one of the other Community Leaders was capable of doing this: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Changing-domain-and-user-IDs/qaq-p/407620

You might want to reach out and ask for details in the thread.

I hope that helps!

-Jimmy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Atlassian Access

We're launching improved navigation for admins

Hi Atlassian Community, My name is Avni Barman and I am a Product Manager on the Atlassian Access team! One of my top priorities is to help make the administrator's life easier through improved pro...

634 views 0 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you