Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCIM vs Graph API (Azure AD for nested groups)

Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2023

Hi all,

We are in the midst of our cloud project and I am thinking how to specifically handle the user management. 

The user provisioning goes through Azure AD and Atlassian Access, that is clear. However, with the recent release of Azure AD for nested groups, I am deciding which option to use - regular SCIM or Azure AD for nested groups? Even if the customer does not use the nested groups, the "Azure AD for nested groups" seems easier, quicker to configure, is managed from Atlassian side and at the same time offers the same functionality. Is there a reason to still use SCIM?

So basically my question summarized: Does Azure AD for nested groups (Graph API) have any limitations compared to SCIM way? 

Thanks,
Adam

1 answer

1 vote
Kyle Lapham
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 25, 2023

Hi @Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_ 

Did you get anymore knowledge on this? 

The documentation seems short on the limitations and i am pretty much trying to understand these.

Let me know if you have found out any information on this please.

Thanks 

Kyle

Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2023

Hello @Kyle Lapham ,

Not much, our customer eventually decided to use SCIM anyways due to the security reasons (they don't want to use API), so it was a clear decision.

I summarized just couple of points at the time:

SCIM

• does not allow synchronization of nested groups
  • allows you to create custom attribute mappings
  • requires application installation in Azure AD
  • it is managed and configured in Azure AD

Graph API (Azure AD for nested groups)

• enables the synchronization of nested groups
  • does not allow you to create custom attribute mappings
  • it works through a technical account that must have admin rights in Azure AD - through this account data is pulled using the API
  • it is managed and configured from the Atlassian administration

I was testing it during EAP and it seems the only limitation is the inability of creating a custom mapping - so you cannot choose which attribute goes where and adding any additional attributes.

If I remember correctly, the Graph API option also has a synchronization interval every 4 hours, opposed to SCIM's 30-60 minutes.

Hopefully that helps you a little bit.

Adam

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Kyle Lapham
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 26, 2023

Very Helpful, appreciate your quick response on this Adam :)

Lennert Timmers October 31, 2023

@Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_ in your summary about the Azure Graph API you mention the use of a technical account. Do you know if there is more documentation about the use of this account and the exact permissions needed (like scopes or app roles)?

Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2023

@Lennert Timmers I couldn't really find any documentation on that. We did find out simply by trying to connect the AAD with Atlassian - when logging in with the technical account, Atlassian Cloud asks you for access and it lists which specific permission it needs. Specifically step 6 here: https://support.atlassian.com/provisioning-users/docs/connect-to-azure-active-directory/#:~:text=can%20verify%20them.-,Connect%20to%20Azure%20Active%20Directory,-To%20connect%20to

"You can then log in with your Microsoft account to the Microsoft portal. Microsoft asks you to allow Atlassian to access your account."

Unfortunately I did not take a note which exact permissions those were, so I'm not able to provide that to you upfront.

Like Lennert Timmers likes this
Lennert Timmers October 31, 2023

@Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_  Thank you for your response. It's a pity that the Atlassian documentation is not more comprehensive on this topic. We have a fairly large IT organisation, and our colleagues that manage the Azure environment would like to know precisely what is required to set up such a connection and how those admin permissions are used behind the scenes.

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2023

Yeah, I can understand that. This feature was released just recently, so there might not be that extensive documentation.

Maybe you can try to contact Atlassian support, they were always very helpful in this topic: https://support.atlassian.com/contact

Like Lennert Timmers likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events