How to get worklogs of a user from jql search

Hasitha Weerasinghe November 3, 2014

Hi all,

I'm trying to get all worklogs of a user on a specific date from jql search.

My problem is to find what are the worklogs that are updated from a particular user on a specific date.

is it possible to do that? or is there any other ways of getting that? 

I'm using JIRA 4.3.3

4 answers

3 votes
Filip Pokorny July 26, 2018

To put things up to date, with latest Jira it is simple and without any plugins. JQL: 

worklogAuthor = fpokorny  && worklogDate = "2018-07-26"

Haris Psarropoulos November 13, 2018

Hello Filip,

Do you know whether there is currently a problem with the worklogAuthor attribute? When I use: worklogDate >= startOfMonth()

I get results normally. But if use this:

worklogDate >= startOfMonth() and worklogAuthor = XYZ

where XYZ is a user that has logged work from the start of month, I get no results...

Thank you for your time

Filip Pokorny November 13, 2018

Hi, Haris

I just tested and I I've got the right results (no issue). Used exactly the query you mentioned:

worklogDate >= startOfMonth() and worklogAuthor = username

How about a workaround to query an assignee instead?

worklogDate >= startOfMonth() and assignee = evoinea2 

In my team, we've got always one person on one issue policy so the assignee is actually more relevant, than worklogAuthor: Sometimes, the product manager or the scrum master log and edit the  worklog for other team members.

Like # people like this
Haris Psarropoulos November 13, 2018

Thank you for the fast response Filip, it seems that I have come across a permissions issue as the same filter in one project works, but in another project (Service Desk project) does not work. I have opened a ticket to atlassian to get some feedback on which permission is missing as whatever try I made had no effect. I will post the outcome of the discussion with atlassian support here for everyone's reference.

Like Filip Pokorny likes this
Benson April 30, 2020

Hi, I tried using worklogAuthor = "user" but unable to get time entries only added by that user. As we have our issue ticket being handled by sequence of users in the workflow, we are unable to have issue ticket for each function in the workflow.

Has anyone found any solution or workaround for this problem? I do have time-sheet based add-on, but I am trying this because I am creating a dashboard showing Utilization trend month wise using this gadget for dashboard.
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1214527/javascript-charts-for-jira-cloud?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Apparently, the "Time Spent" field value is showing work logs of other users who logged in the ticket. Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Ben

Like Dmitry Borodin likes this
Benson April 30, 2020

Hi, I tried using worklogAuthor = "user" but unable to get time entries only added by that user. As we have our issue ticket being handled by sequence of users in the workflow, we are unable to have issue ticket for each function in the workflow.

Has anyone found any solution or workaround for this problem? I do have time-sheet based add-on, but I am trying this because I am creating a dashboard showing Utilization trend month wise using this gadget for dashboard.
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1214527/javascript-charts-for-jira-cloud?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Apparently, the "Time Spent" field value is showing work logs of other users who logged in the ticket. Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Ben

Like # people like this
1 vote
Patrick Michaelsen March 20, 2019

Hi everyone. This doesn't exactly solve my use case. I'd like to sum all work for a given user on a given day. e.g, work logged yesterday:

project = MAG AND worklogAuthor = currentUser() AND worklogDate = -1d

This returns all issues which this user worked on. The time logged column on this table is not useful to because it contains all time logged by any user for that issue.

I find it hard to believe this feature is not built in somewhere. It seems like a very useful metric to be able to see how much time each user is logging.

Andrei Pisklenov _Actonic_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 4, 2019

Hi @Patrick Michaelsen ,

This app may solve your issue https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216997/worklog-simple-report?hosting=server&tab=overview. It has options to group results by users. 

Srinivasan Nambi April 28, 2019

Hi Patrick,
Were you able to find a resolution to this ?

I am facing similar issue. I'm trying to retrieve the time spent by different users on an issue key # but the results of "Time Spent" and "Sigma Time Spent" are the same which is a cumulative total of time logged by *ALL* users to that issue. 

Thanks,

Srini

Joey Klein July 29, 2019

Im trying to do the same any luck ?

Filip Pokorny July 30, 2019

I managed to sum all worklogs for every user divided by sprints with javascript and xhttp GET and Atlassian rest API. Some widgets in Jira and Confluence support html and javascript such as the text widget. You can embed script directly into it which means you don't have to deal with authentication or CORS.

Like # people like this
Joey Klein July 30, 2019

hmmmm. a little above my level.  i tried the following queries.  both seem to be producing the same results but neither are 'correct'

• worklogAuthor in membersOf(Jira-administrators)
  •  issueFunction in workLogged("inGroup Jira-administrators")

when i plug this into a dashboard gadget or use it as the basis for a tempo report, im getting results of people that are not in this user group.  end of the day i want all issues across all projects that members of a specific group have logged time to

Like Jess LaFentres likes this
Jess LaFentres December 13, 2019

I have that same issue even when I limit the "worklogauthor" to a single employee.  The Tempo Worklog Distribution Dashboard Gadget may be the issue, not sure, but it is very frustrating....

data data April 16, 2020

Please note my comment. You try  something that can not work. 

1 vote
Treethawat Thanawachiramate November 3, 2014

Have you ever checked this page: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/47652

Cheers !

0 votes
data data April 16, 2020

Jira has absolut no possibility to get worklogs. The only thing you can search for in Jira are issues. And that is the main misunderstanding of this question and the comments.

What you get are issues. When you filter by worklogDate, you get issues which fits. Nothing more. This issues can also have worklogs with different worklogDates.

In Jira you can not search for worklogs. So if you display the worklog total time of an issue in a column of the search result, you see the properties of the issue. This has nothing to do with the constraints in the search query. 

Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 4, 2020

Hi @data data ,

If you're interested in 'the worklog-level', I'd kindly recommend evaluating xPort (see https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215632/xport-custom-worklog-export-for-jira?hosting=server) since it might provide the granularity needed here. I'm with you all the way that there's no such feature within Jira's default capabilities.

Cheers
Thorsten

Suggest an answer