How do I add or edit Jira workflow categories?

Frank Pete October 19, 2016

I am now implementing a Stage Gate process in Jira. This is to force our organisation throught a commercial assessment and through a risk assessment and quality control before releaseing a larger development task for development. 

In this process the cost benefit (commercial assessment) may lead to rejection of the development task.
The same applies for risk assessment.

For this purpose, I do need another workflow category 'Rejected'

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2016

You'll need to hack the core code of JIRA, those three categories are pretty much hard-coded into it.

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2016

Nic, Are you people speaking about the 'Status Category' like 'To Do', 'In Progress' and 'Done'?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2016

The question said category, so I assumed he meant category.

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2016

Pretty confused what Frank is referring to as workflow category 'Rejected'. sad

Status Category or Workflow status?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2016

He did not say status, he said category.  It's clear he doesn't mean project category, so it must be workflow category.

Like Joe likes this
Frank Pete October 19, 2016

There are tree categories today. ToDo, In Porgress & Done. 
Thinking about it, we can magage with the three as the process is actually

Evaluate = To Do

Evaluating process = In Progress

Evaluation done and task rejected = Done + new status = Rejected

Thanks anyway

Azfar_Masut April 8, 2018

It goes back to your definition of 'Rejected'

To Do, In Progress and Done is the highest level of the status category which should suffice. 

Rejected is not vague/general enough to become a category. Eg.: I cant think of a status which could become under the category Rejected. However, Rejected can instead be categorized as Done, as when an issue is rejected, its usually the end of the issue cycle. And you set 'Rejected' as the resolution instead. (which is the reason why resolution option exist in the first place)

Alternatively, if your definition for rejected is that the issue is rejected, but pending for a review, you should set it the issue as either 'In Progress' or 'To Do'. Both could work depending to how you handle a 'Rejected' issue in your workflow.

To Do, In Progress and Done is the highest level of the status category which should suffice. 

Rejected is not vague/general enough to become a category. Eg.: I cant think of a status which could become under the category Rejected. However, Rejected can instead be categorized as Done, as when an issue is rejected, its usually the end of the issue cycle. And you set 'Rejected' as the resolution instead. (which is the reason why resolution option exist in the first place)

Alternatively, if your definition for rejected is that the issue is rejected, but pending for a review, you should set it the issue as either 'In Progress' or 'To Do'. Both could work depending to how you handle a 'Rejected' issue in your workflow.

Azfar_Masut May 14, 2018

How the hell do i delete comments here?? LOL

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2018

You don't.  It makes a mess of the conversation threads, so it's discouraged.

You can edit them and delete the content, but that's just rude.

Patrick Herrington May 17, 2018

This really should be added in.  For instance, why is there not a testing category?  It could include Unit, QA, UAT.  "In Progress" depends on the scope you are looking at.

Like # people like this
Marc Moroz May 7, 2019

I agree with Patrick.  For development teams, it helps to have a way of grouping some statuses into buckets that represent Development, Validation, User Acceptance, etc.  Having all these as In Progress makes it hard for us to get good info out.

Like # people like this
5 votes
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 19, 2016

Please create a new status 'Rejected' (if not existing) from JIRA Administration-> Issues-> Statuses -> Add a new status. Add the new status to your workflow by referring this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow

Later, you can add this status to your agile board as well if required as https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/configuring-a-board/configuring-columns

Mouli April 12, 2019

Needed a Blocked Status for my issues. Achieved it thru this!

Would have been happy had i got a Category for this(so that i could define a specific color & symbol).. but gotta make do with whats available.

Like Joe likes this
1 vote
Paul Denize April 20, 2018

> To Do, In Progress and Done is the highest level of the status category which should suffice. 

I agree these should be more flexible.  I'd love a category "Waiting on Third Party" making it clear the person it is assigned to is not the one doing the work but monitoring those that are.  And the colour of the status seems to be controlled by the category so having something that could stand out would be good too.

I read this whole thread "How do you...." and it seems full of why would you answers.  Nobody has yet said you do it by .... or you cant. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2018

Yes we did, see the first answer.  Granted it's a couple of years old, but it's still right.

1 vote
Pamela Rocamora January 31, 2018

Hi I have the same issue as Frank. I want to add a new STATUS Category (like To Do, In progress and Done)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2018

The original answer stands.

Like Orlando Rondanelli likes this
0 votes
Jo Vasev May 1, 2019

Hi I have the same issue as Frank. I want to add a new STATUS Category (like To Do, In progress and Done)

Is this possible yet?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2019

No, and it never will be - all these extra categories mentioned (so far) are really mostly status within "in progress" (and a couple are to-do or done)

0 votes

And as Nic said, not possible. It's hardcoded

Suggest an answer