Difference between OAuth and Basic Authentication and where these Auth comes to play in SSO ?

Nitram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2014

Hi,

I am creating an web - app which uses rest-api to contact JIRA, I am using Basic Auth to authenticate with JIRA as of now,

Is it good to use basic auth for a web app which will be accessed by our clients from outside the network, or should I need to change to OAuth ? I just need to know the differences between both ?

We are thinking to use SSO for our products and I need to know how SSO and Auth types are related to both of them!

If some one can give a clear picture or links, that would be helpful, Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nitram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2014

Hi Everyone,

OAuth is good than Basic Authentication,

Basic Authentication's Drawback is , it is not that much secure. your credentials can be hacked.

OAuth helps you in creating a secure passage for your access to JIRA, and it uses RSA encryption as part of its setup, So OAuth is preferred one!

For more info of setting up OAuth, there is a good tutorial over here.

This link over here will also give you an extra info reg Basic vs Oauth performance.

Will keep you posted reg sso and auth relation!

Thanks!

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2014

Hi Nitran, basic OAuth works based on tokens and authorization. You can use the credentials of an user to authorize your token and as long as this token is valid, you can use it to retrieve information from a given application.

You can see more details on how use OAuth with REST API in this doc: https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/JIRA+REST+API+Example+-+OAuth+authentication

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Suggest an answer