Classic and featured project templates in Jira Software Cloud

If you're a Jira admin, you may have noticed that we have two different Scrum and Kanban templates in Jira Software - featured templates and classic templates. We've written this article to explain the difference, to help you make the right choice for your team. 

I don't wanna read a whole article - what's the difference between the two? 

comparison table.png

What are featured project templates?

The new Jira Software experience is easier to configure and grows more powerful every day. Part of the new experience are featured Scrum and Kanban project templates. They provide a streamlined experience, are easier to use, and quicker to set up than classic projects. Think Trello, for software teams. If you're new to Jira, new to agile, or work in a small team, we recommend you start your project with one of these templates. If you've been with us for a while, you may know them as Agility projects.

We're always listening to your feedback and making improvements to these templates based on what you say. If you're keen to help us shape the future of Jira Software, hit the Give feedback button in the project menu. To find out what features are coming next, check out our release notes page. 

featuredproject.png

What are classic project templates?

The classic Scrum and Kanban project templates have all the power and functionality that Jira is known for. These templates have a steep learning curve, but a huge number of options for planning, tracking, and reporting on your team's work. If your team is familiar with Jira, has a mature agile practice, or has a complex workflow, we recommend sticking to these templates. 

classicproject.png

7 comments

Thank you for writing this up.  I created a new JIRA instance today with a client to get them going on the product and found myself speechless in front of them as features had disappeared after I had touted the awesome things in there.  This gives me a perspective on what is going on. 

If we use the new templates how long will we wait for Epics and Estimation features and will we have to do deep work on customization of those templates to make it happen once they are released?  If you can describe the path we will take to include those elements it would be great for planning and implementation choice now.  Thanks

There should have been a lot more clarity on this release, it's a major step backwards IF you've managed to created a project using the new templates.  One of my admins has created a new project mistakenly against a new template and now we have no way of administering the notifications, the project lead or very little.

I have no idea why someone would want such a feature to be honest but it seems as though people must have asked for it.

@John JoyceYou should be able to convert it to the template you want to use.

@Doug Odegaard pretty much same thing happened to me also. I am in the process of moving a client to Jira and ... stuck now.

Even this page kept logging me out on MS Edge. Had to switch to Google Chrome to be able to read it.

Just wondering that why didn't Atlassian develop it fully before rolling it out.

It would be better to not have a Jira rather than a Jira without estimates.

It doesn’t look problematic to bulk edit/move issues to/from the old/new template. Has anybody tried?

Hey, Y'all! Thanks so much for your feedback. 

@Doug Odegaard The team is currently working on Epics and Estimation, no deep work required to get it up and running once we roll them out. Hopefully, this helps provide clarity around your decision to use or not use the featured projects. 

@John Joyce A large part of the strategy behind these templates are to create a simpler starting point for teams as we progressively build up the power. You can create another project template and migrate your issues from this project if the one you created does not suit the needs of your team.

@Faisal Sharif You can still create the existing project templates if these ones do not meet your needs. The team is currently working on adding estimation which will be released soon. 

@Kelly Albrecht Yep, you can bulk move issues from one project to another. Here are more details on how to do it.  

Keep the feedback coming! This helps us prioritize what we work on next. 

Comment

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 20, 2018 in Agility

What's new in agility projects?

Stay up-to-date "Agility" is a new project template.  The design is cleaner, the configuration is simpler and the performance is better than classic projects.  We're adding more&nb...

11,426 views 27 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you