what is the best practice for linking technical tickets to a user story with Trello

Liam Hargreaves April 19, 2017

We have been using trello for three years and we love how light weight it is, we create user stories and then we create technical tickets.

What is the best practice for linking technical tickets to a user story, so we know when the user story is done.

I know we can link to a trello ticket in the description/comments, but is this the best way? It still seems that I have to do a lot of matching up to see when tickets have been moved to done. I have tried using labels too - but similar overhead.

Is there a best practice way to do this?

Thanks,

Liam

1 answer

0 votes
Francis Peixoto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2017

I've seen people suggest checklists. You can use the url to another card in the checklist item name, as it will create a linked card. 

Other people keep the technical tasks on a different board and use labels as the relation marker. 

However you do it, is important to keep in mind that the great thing about Trello is the freedom. You'll never be constrained to a best practice of a standard, unless you impose it yourself. 

Liam Hargreaves April 19, 2017

Thanks Francis, a checklist of urls could really work, i could also have multiple checklist for different departments so web: ios: qa, etc all have there own checklist of urls

Francis Peixoto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2017

I usually replicate the JIRA workflow on my boards:

Labels:Epic > Lists:Workflow > Cards:Stories and Tasks

Like I said, an idea to keep the clutter down would be to segregate the technical tasks to other boards and link them in your main board. A tool like Butler could help with maintenance and automation of links.

Liam Hargreaves April 20, 2017

when you say lists:workflow, do you mean Backlog list, Doing list, ready for QA list etc? Is there an example i could see?

Liam

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events