Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I enter variables in butler command builder?

tony lamedoz May 4, 2020

I can see a lot of example online where butler commands are written as free text when people explain how to solve a particular problem with butler. however, i cant find how to copy and past a free text on butler powerup, I can only use the command builder.

My main problem is that i cant seem to find how to include variables in a command using the command builder. I cant also write a free text command elsewhere and then copy and past in butler to solve the problem.
can you advice on how i can add variables when using butler command builder.

this is what i am tryin to achieve:
when a card in list "Ready for Investigation" is moved out of list "Ready for Investigation" by anyone except "{addedusername}", move the card to the bottom of list "Ready for Investigation"

but i while using command builder i cant add a variable for the name. I can only select a predefined name at buildtime.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2020

Hi @tony lamedoz 

Welcome to the Community!

You can add extra bits to the command builder, although I agree it's not well written, or explained detailing how this can be achieved. 

Whenever there is a text box that says something like 'Field Name' when you click on it, there might be options given in a drop down, but you can add what you want in there as well, you don't have to pick from what is suggested. It's not explained very well, but just because there is a drop down, doesn't mean that these are the only options available

This is how I would solve your issue:

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 13.39.12.png

That's how I would create the first part (trigger).

Then I would create the action:

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 13.39.41.png

Does this help at all?

Esme :)

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2020

Sorry, another bit!

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 13.53.40.pngSo that comes up with the members of the board - so logically you'd think that was the only option, but you can copy & paste into that box:

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 13.54.57.pngAnd get the result that you want.

I'm assuming that it's to stop anyone but the card creator being able to move the card? This would do it, because it would only allow the person who created the card in the first place, to be able to move the card out of the list.

Esme :)

Like tony lamedoz likes this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2020

Sorry, me again!

If you wanted to stop anyone being able to move the card except the person who created it, the variable you'd need is {creatorusername}

tony lamedoz May 4, 2020

Thank you so much, very helpful. You understood the problem i was trying to solve. This solved it. 

Like Esme Crutchley likes this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2020

Woohoo! That's awesome!

Has that helped?

If it has, could you accept the answer so that other Community members know that this works?

Don't be a stranger!

0 votes
Sanju Rock April 22, 2021

thank you problem has been solved. I can understand nirvam that issue and easily solved.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events