Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

attach a link to a local file without uploading

samuel_ballé August 27, 2019

I am trying to add an attachment to a local file, but as link and not as uploaded file.

So I am adding a link like "file:///home/myname/mydir/my%20file.odt"

but it is added ( and not modifiable) as "http://file:///home/myname/mydir/my%20file.odt"

And with this when you clic on it it tries to open at www.files.com ...

How to do it so the link is not altered ?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2019

Hi @samuel_ballé 

Currently, Trello does not allow attaching local files without them being uploaded to Trello’s servers. You can refer to Trello's documentation for more information.

There is a Chrome extension for local file linking, but I've never tried it :) 

Hope that helps!

Benjamin Neese September 3, 2019

Hi Teodora,

Is this a recent change? We were linking local files for a few years and it just stopped working recently. It used to look like this link.jpg

but now that "open local file link" doesn't pop up. This functionality was important to how we're using Trello at an enterprise level.

I'll give that extension a try, but ideally I don't want everyone in my organization adding extensions just to achieve functionality that used to be built into Trello itself.

Thanks,

Ben

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2019

Hey @Benjamin Neese 

Sounds critical for your use case. I don't use this functionality so often, but when I tried, I experienced the same as you and checked the Trello documentation portal.

I will suggest you reach out to Trello Support; maybe we are all missing something.

I'll also investigate this. :)

Best,
Teodora

Chris Mullin October 15, 2022

I'd love to add local files to my Trello cards... and wondering if this 'feature' has been added back into Trello?

Thanks

Chris

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events