Using Power Up-Custom Fields

Bobbie Kelly June 27, 2018

I created cards within a board that has custom fields.  But then I noticed all ALL of my cards within that board are populated with the custom fields.  Is it not possible to have the custom field on only certain cards?  If I go into the specific card click on each Power Up custom field and say delete will it delete them across all cards?  They were a lot of work to create and I don't want to risk their position (which by the way is not movable) nor losing them on the card I do need them.  Advice?

1 answer

0 votes
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2018

Hey Bobbie

You're correct in saying that deleting the custom field from one card will delete them from the board itself.. so don't do that unless you want to lose that custom field.  There's not, actually, a way to delete custom fields from just one card.

There is, however, a way to rearrange the custom fields.  Check out https://d.pr/i/RIFULf for reference.

Bobbie Kelly June 28, 2018

Hopefully in the near future there will be a way to implement custom field to only certain cards as one can with other Powerups.  Because of the way this is I fear I am going to have to delete the custom fields in my board because they are not appropriate on every card.  That's a bummer because the fields were actually going to be a real time saver when filling in the cards.  

Do you think the developer reads these comments?

Like Rebecca Gibbeson likes this
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2018

If they aren't needed on a card, can't you just leave them blank? Any only fill in the custom fields on the cards that need them?

Well that is one way, but not the best way as I have them at the top of one card and they take up quite a bit of room because there are so many.  It would just be nice to have the flexibility to have them only on the cards I need as is the case with checklists, labels, due dates, etc.  I can used them when appropriate and am not locked into using them on every card.  Seems like a simple concept.

Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2018

For sure, I get what you're saying.  But instead of just not using Custom Fields (because they can help your flow when you do need them), ignore them on the cards for now.  I am not quite sure if the dev team reads these or not, but here's information on how to submit feature requests.

Also there should be a way of merging two cards.  For example if you are in sales and have a contact that you are reaching out to but they are not yet a client, you have preliminary information about that person.  But once they become a client and you want to move them into your system, you either have to copy and paste all of their info again into your cards that move throughout the system or.....I can't figure out how to keep the two cards together.  I know there is a link to another card, but that is cumbersome.  There should be a merge feature.

Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2018

Merging would be useful as well, send that as a suggestion too!  There does seem to be a power up idea for merging cards at https://trello.com/c/OC0jkBuR/27-merge-cards but not sure where that is on the dev radar.  

You could also use the Hello Epics power up, where you can have a parent card along with child cards linked (all cards will still exist separately, but be viewed from one card)

Thanks.  I will check that out and am writing to them now about both challenges.  I work for a very large real estate firm which is part of an even larger conglomerate.  If I bring Trello to the work place and share my templates every agent will want to sign on.  That is a significant boost in their paid user base (realtors will be paying clients because they will need the Powerups).  So hopefully they will listen.

So that link that you sent me about merging cards, look perfect, but is not available yet?  Is this just an idea or is it a viable solution?  Not sure how/where you found that.

The Hello Epics power up looks interesting.  I will check that out if the merge feature you showed me is not available.

I truly appreciate all of your assistance.  I'm sure I'll have another question as I wander through this process.

Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2018

The board with the card on it is just a board for Power Up ideas.. 'We've put this board together to give you a few ideas on what types of Power-Ups Trello users ask us for!'.  So, it's known that users want it, but there's not a feature for it yet.  Still, write as a feature request so they know of the interest.  

Is there an additional charge for Hello Epics Powerup?  I can't see what it is unless I sign up for the 14 day free trial.  Why can't they just tell you up front.  I even read through the very looooong terms of service and can't find it in there.  Do you have access to that information?

Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2018
Harris Ingram July 23, 2018

I am curious where feature requests are supposed to be posted? My thought is to change the current structure of Custom Fields to instead of being directly attached to boards have it attached to a new object like form template. A form template could then be added to an entire board or it could be added to a single card at a time. Maybe have the template object be attached directly to cards and having functionality that can automatically populate it to existing/new cards on a given board. My thought is with using the template instead of attaching them directly is that it would also resolve the migration issue as if it is moved to a new board then it keeps its attached form templates. You could set it up that a card could have multiple form templates attached.

Bobbie Kelly July 24, 2018

Hi Harris.  Welcome.  I couldn't agree more with your idea.  The fact that custom fields must reside across an entire board makes it counter productive.  One should be able to apply a template with custom fields on one card only.  I am hoping that is something that they will address.

Also HelloEpics users, please be aware that if you follow the Trello set up YouTube videos on how to set up boards, if you decide you wish to incorporate HelloEpics (parent/child card merging) you could wind up having to redo your boards entirely or pay a per board monthly charge for that feature.  They are aware of this and currently working on it.  My suggestion is if you intend to pursue the HelloEpics feature overlay you contact them first before creating your Trello boards.

Aaron Jensen November 20, 2018

Hi there,

For anyone coming across this, our pricing now includes unlimited boards across as many Trello teams as you like. You can find out more at https://helloepics.com/ if interested.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events