Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Automation to Add Attachments

Santiago April 8, 2023

Is it possible to use Trello automations to add an attachment to a card? Ideally, I would take an attachment that is on one Trello card, and have it copied to another. Right now I use the following action:

Convert the item to a linked card at the top of list

Once this happens, I would like to also copy all (or any) attachments from that original Trello card, over to the linked card that was just created. Any suggestions?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vongsawat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2023

What's the context/aim? I can't quite figure out your setup, as it sounds like you're converting checklist items in to cards, linking them to the original card, then copying over all the attachments.

But seeing as the linking action creates an attachment, each converted item also adds itself to the original card's attachments. Which means that the last item in the list to be converted will have the original attachment plus attachments to all the similarly converted cards that came before it.

Which seems like a weird ideal state to aim for, so I must be misunderstanding something..

That said, in terms of workarounds. My first thought/suggestion is to just duplicate the original card, that way you get all the attachments, then clear it of its description/name/labels/comments/etc., rename it to the checklist item in question, remove the checklist item, [EDIT: and then link them together], and then use some other way to link them together that doesn't use attachments. (maybe links in a checklist, or added to the end of the description, etc.)

But as I am unsure of your ideal state, I'm not sure what Butler Variables are available (or if they even are available) for the renaming step. Or if a different workaround is required.

Edit: whoops. Forgot how linked cards work. The suggestion still works, but I somehow forgot that linked cards don't create an attachment on the original card.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events