Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Permissions

Nektarios Christodoulou April 23, 2019

Is it possible to set a users permissions so that the user can only comment and move boards. I dont want them to be able to edit, archive, delete, change any settings or invite.

Basically they can only view, comment and move the card.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2019

@Nektarios Christodoulou You can't allow people to move a card without allowing them to edit cards, but you can make it so that people can comment without the ability to edit at all.

The way to do this is to make the board team viewable, but then turn off the self-join option and make it so only admins can invite new members.

Then set the board to allow comments from team members only.

Then everyone in the team can go into the board and comment on cards, but do nothing else.

To then deal with the issue of allowing them to move cards, you can automate it so that they add a comment like "Done" to move the card to the next list.

For example the following Butler command will move the card to the next list when someone posts a comment starting with "Status: done"

when a comment starting with "Status: done" is posted to a card, move the card to the next list on the board

So people could type:

Status: done note that I couldn't finish BLAH because of BLAH reason

and have the card move to the next list.

Nektarios Christodoulou April 26, 2019

@Iain Dooley thank you for your input. This sounds like a great solution.

Thanks again

Like Iain Dooley likes this
0 votes
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2019

Hello and welcome to Community!

If you have admin permissions on a board, you have more granularity in permissioning. For example, you can add users as Collaborators, which mean they have view-access and can comment. However, they can't move the card around (a type of editing).

What use case do you have for them to move the card, but not edit the fields in the card?

https://help.trello.com/article/791-changing-permissions-on-a-board

Best,
Carolyn

Nektarios Christodoulou April 23, 2019

Hi Carolyn,
I have noticed that certain tasks on the cards are being edited by team members (the goal of the task) which mean the original task is not being done properly.

I also noticed a few cards being deleted / archived altogether.

I just don’t have the time to go through the activity off all boards. I would rather eliminate the member’s ability to perform these types of edits. My teams basically need to have the ability to move cards and to comment on cards. They don’t need to do really much else. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

0 votes
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2019

HI @Nektarios Christodoulou

This is a tricky one, and it may be different in Trello than what I’ve experienced in Jira, but I don’t think so.  Commenting on a board and Moving a board are two separate global permissions, so being able to add comments and edit/delete their own comments without editing or delivering comments made by others is possible.

A user needs to be able to Edit shared objects in order to move a board though. Creating th board is part of the “create shared objects” permission and only the board admin can invite users and change the settings. 

One of the other community leaders or someone with more Trello experience may be share more info.

-Scott

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events